Which road shall I take...

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi guys
A bit of help please.
I am looking to build up the Razesa from it's current 7 speed to nine speed STI's which is more befitting it's age and needs. It's a 130mm spacing with eyelets n' all.. Here's the dillema.

a) I have some newish Campy Veloce shifters and was thinking of completing a group with a mix of Veloce and Chorus.

b) Sell the Veloce and start accumulating some Ultegra!

So, anyone ridden on 9speed Veloce? Any good? I know it's low end Campy but is it noticably so or just not Record, if you know what I mean. Or is Ultegra just a lot better> I have just built a 9speed Ultegra and that's real nice but without riding 9speed Campy I have nothing to guage it against.

Here's the bike just in case you could visualize either set
005-3.jpg

Thoughts please,
Many thanks.... [/img]

I wished I could help you, but I have no idea :oops:

I think I would go with Ultegra because I have experience with it, fear no compatability issues, parts availability and so on. I am not really a STI (or ErgoPower) man.

The brakes do look like DA EX callipers with external nuts. Will they also be on the nomination to leave if you start getting everything period correct?

Indeed they are DA EX brakes. I am basically using all of these parts to put on that Koga Gents Luxe frame I bought ages ago :) I know it won't all be period correct but just want to get out on that and find out what all the fuss is about with Kogas..

I am not really an STI man either I guess but the Razesa is crying out for 9 speed I think.

Veloce

Have chorus on my road bike and veloce on my cross bike and they both change the same if set up correctly. plush you dont have cables showing on campag.
plus you can use shimano 9 speed cassettes on the campag set up.

I would go with Campag.I currently use Veloce on my work/audax and Chorus on my better audax.jm.

One more for campag. I had athena 8sp. on my old bike and am currently riding with chorus 10sp. Have always loved both.
Never been a shimano man though.

Shifting from the bars really is the bawz, whatever manufacturer you go with if this is a rider then STI/ergo it must be :) FWIW I thought Campag retained a retro look with they're shifters and on aesthetics would be my choice.

kaiser":2lx0euic said:
Shifting from the bars really is the bawz, whatever manufacturer you go with if this is a rider then STI/ergo it must be :)

I've got a first edition copy of Cyclo-cross by Simon Burney at home (late 80s/very early 90s); the equipment pages make for interesting reading! How on earth did we ever manage without Ergo/STI levers and clipless pedals?? [1]

David

[1] Evidently the likes of John Atkins did, and very well at that. Rather them than me though.

Back