Cadex - Single Speed Build

That is really nice!
I've had a few Cadex's and I had the same plans, but never came to executing them.
I would keep the colour if the paint is still good, sanding them is a hell of a job, the blue ones are even worse then the one in the other topic you refer to. (I know because I sanded three types, including the blue one I still have)

MikeD":17gobjjx said:
Cunning :) You weren't tempted to put a brake mount on the new left-hand track end?

VERY!!! - Although I don't know anything about disc brakes, I'll get this rolling and then that will be the next project.

But for future reference - would a 180mm disc do the trick? I also need to work out how to keep the wheel and caliper aligned. Have seen slotted holes for the caliper - but it doesn’t look that nice........

Very cool project :cool: from the first time I saw the cadex frames I thought they would be ideal for a SS specific conversion.

What you have done looks to be spot on.

Olliepen":cq54oyy8 said:
But for future reference - would a 180mm disc do the trick?

Should be easy to amend to allow a disc but stick with a 160 mm rotor max

I'd be very leery of using a disc on this frame as it wasn't designed to take that kind of stress. For one thing you'd have to get some really strong bolts for the dropouts. The other worry would be the bonding in the chainstay/dropout area as this could come apart under the forces of braking. If you have to fit a disc I'd go with the Hope C2 that has a force transfer arm attached to the brake boss, as this area of the frame was designed to take the forces generated during braking. Even then I'd only go for a 140mm disc at the most and regularly check the frame for cracks at the dropouts and the brake boss.

On another matter, it's interesting to see that the Cadex frames seem to have an identical dropout arrangement as my Litage, which was around a few years earlier. :)

I'd be very leery of using a disc on this frame as it wasn't designed to take that kind of stress. For one thing you'd have to get some really strong bolts for the dropouts.

I'd go the other way - use alu bolts and make them a deliberate weak point, like a bending fuse. Then the first thing to go is some easily-replaceable bolts rather than the frame.

If you have to fit a disc I'd go with the Hope C2 that has a force transfer arm attached to the brake boss, as this area of the frame was designed to take the forces generated during braking.

Except in a different direction and of a different magnitude :) It's not unheard of for those arms to snap brake bosses off.

Even then I'd only go for a 140mm disc at the most and regularly check the frame for cracks at the dropouts and the brake boss.

Better safe than sorry :)

All fair points, certainly. Old frames + discs not always the route to happiness...

kaiser":3fep6zd9 said:
FRame is quite light but I'd have expected lighter, still cool project :D and can't weight to see the results. Are you going for as light a build as possible?

I don't think it will end up that light... I have a matching set of FSA handlebars, stem and seat post - these are aluminium with shall we say consmetic carbon wrapped around them. A set of exotic carbon forks, a set of Mavic cross link wheels, a middleburn uno crank and some XTR v brakes. I'm hoping for a sub 10kg build but I'm not that optomistic.

Nice wheels ;)

Seriously, I'm planning on a similar project with a cadex, but I simply don't get or want single speed, so I'm going to try and get lightweight by using XTR m952 bits, spinergy wheels, the m952 DH chainring (single), no front mech, Thomson, Answer hyperlight carbon - maybe I'm missing some bits but that's about the size of it.

I've also got the original forks, though they are threaded and I want to go ahead, so need to have a think - possibly pace suspension forks up front to take the buzz off the now quite large pot holes in London, or some sort of quill to ahead adapter.

Now I just need the time :cry:

ishaw":10a3ud1i said:
Nice wheels ;)

Seriously, I'm planning on a similar project with a cadex, but I simply don't get or want single speed, so I'm going to try and get lightweight by using XTR m952 bits, spinergy wheels, the m952 DH chainring (single), no front mech, Thomson, Answer hyperlight carbon - maybe I'm missing some bits but that's about the size of it.

I've also got the original forks, though they are threaded and I want to go ahead, so need to have a think - possibly pace suspension forks up front to take the buzz off the now quite large pot holes in London, or some sort of quill to ahead adapter.

Now I just need the time :cry:

Lets see some picks Ian!

Back