Cadex - Single Speed Build

Olliepen

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Bought this frame from ebay last year and have finally got round to starting building it up as a single speed. I have assembled all of the parts that I want, and now I'm starting on the dropouts.

I drew some up in AutoCAD and made a dummy in some 8mm ply as a test - the angle of the slot is not quite correct so I'll make another dummy tonight to get the slot parallel with the ground / wheel base and then get a set made to that template in aluminum.

Attachments

• 4354182785_1e5499e3f2_z.jpg
    4354182785_1e5499e3f2_z.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 7,640
  • swag 051.jpg
    swag 051.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 7,643
  • swag 052.jpg
    swag 052.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 7,641
  • swag 050.jpg
    swag 050.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 7,639
Blimey I bet thats going to be light. I remember they were silly light BITD.

What does the frame weigh?

Good job on the drop outs simple and effective :)

Lovely frame there mate :cool:

I had some alloy giant forks on one of these frames years ago,they were painted in the same blue at the top and fading down to bare alloy at the bottom........never seen another pair..... :?

Anyway good luck and well done on the dropouts ;)

456_rich":34llnv78 said:
Blimey I bet thats going to be light. I remember they were silly light BITD.

What does the frame weigh?

Good job on the drop outs simple and effective :)

The frame comes in at 1.86kg - I'm not sure how that comparies to other frames but it feels pretty light.

Attachments

• swag.jpg
    swag.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 7,489
Drop out update

Quick dropout update here - I made another template to get the angle of the slot more in line with the chain stays / ground, updated my drawing and then got some friendly polish metal workers to make a couple out of 5mm plate (£20)

There was a little bit of grinding to get them to make a nice snug fit in the frame (to the dropout - not the frame), but overall I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm thinking of sanding the frame back painting the Lugs black and getting it clear coated similar to this - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ight=cadex - what are peoples thoughts on this?

It has also occurred to me that this is probably in the wrong section – mods feel free to move this if you feel it is necessary.

Attachments

• swag 062.jpg
    swag 062.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 7,484
  • swag 061.jpg
    swag 061.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 7,484
  • swag 060.jpg
    swag 060.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 7,484
  • swag 059.jpg
    swag 059.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 7,487
FRame is quite light but I'd have expected lighter, still cool project :D and can't weight to see the results. Are you going for as light a build as possible?

Back