A rare find? UK made...Zinn Z-Centaur 92

raymondluxuryyacht":x7op70um said:
About as rare as hand-built uk bikes can come. Searching for a car metaphor....vintage ferarri...except obviously they aren't uk. Vintage triumph maybe ??? Mk 1 Triumph Stag ?? or Triumph GT6 mk3 ?

No No No, it should be compared to a Morgan, hand built by craftsmen, not British Leyland. :D

Beautiful and rare bike. Good work finding it.

Some close up photos of the frame and component details would be great.

Welcome to the Zinn Ownership Club.

They are beautiful aren't they...

Think that makes 4 on here now. 2 blues (RBK & me), 2 reds (RBK & you).

But I may have missed some more somewhere along the line.

The red one owned by RBK is the 753 version BTW.

BB

I really like the contours of this frame. In fact I'd expect most Kona admirers would give this the thumbs up; sloping top tube, etc.

A proper nice find and some good education for those of us not familiar with the history of Zinn.

BoyBurning":1ojpxkai said:
Think that makes 4 on here now. 2 blues (RBK & me), 2 reds (RBK & you).

But I may have missed some more somewhere along the line.

Gio owns a blue one and there is at least one other red one.

al-onestare":6fm54gkr said:
I really like the contours of this frame. In fact I'd expect most Kona admirers would give this the thumbs up; sloping top tube, etc.

A proper nice find and some good education for those of us not familiar with the history of Zinn.

Sorry for the bluntness, but who cares what 'Kona owners' think!

These are extremely high quality frames, it would my Pioneer look like a Townsend.

If these were road bikes, it would be up there with the finest Hetchins or Colnago. Theres no Kona that would come close to the build quality. They are more works of art than humble mountain bike.

*edit: have a pic of a blue one to tide you over. Just check out how neat and tidy everything is. No blobby welds or excess material.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... light=zinn

nhj006.jpg

nhj009.jpg

legrandefromage":rvyldizu said:
al-onestare":rvyldizu said:

Sorry for the bluntness, but who cares what 'Kona owners' think!.

Nothing like a bit of bike snobbery eh? Jesus :roll:

Not all of us are blessed with oodles of cash and time to spend on super-rare machines.

I was merely pointing out some similarities in style, not in construction or quality.

al-onestare":1t7qscr9 said:
legrandefromage":1t7qscr9 said:
al-onestare":1t7qscr9 said:

These are extremely high quality frames, it would my Pioneer look like a Townsend.

If these were road bikes, it would be up there with the finest Hetchins or Colnago. Theres no Kona that would come close to the build quality. They are more works of art than humble mountain bike.

Not all of us are blessed with oodles of cash and time to spend on super-rare machines.

I was merely pointing out some similarities in style, not in construction or quality.

<sighs>

I'm disapointed that you've taken my comments that way, again for about the 50th time, there is no bike snobbery or any reference to how much cash people have to buy bikes with. I even did a thread where I showed how easy it was to buy your way in to left-field brands for less than a Tesco bike.

I dont want to get into an argument (again) but....

Comparing this to 'Kona' is a little rude towards the frame builder, sloping top tubes have been around much longer than the Kona brand name. And, to be honest its like comparing a Ford Focus with say, a Morgan Aero 8...

I cant afford either, as it happens!

its not about the money

It was my love of bikes old & new that swayed the seller of the Zinn to let me take it off his hands..

I wont be letting this go.. ;)

Oh and i also recieved a new pair of ATI attack grips for the Zinn today. :D

I want to do a few jobs on it then ill spend some time taking decent pictures.

I have some different bottle cages too but they are modern but reckon they will suit it without damaging the age/looks.

legrandefromage":30plt1ki said:
al-onestare":30plt1ki said:
legrandefromage":30plt1ki said:
al-onestare":30plt1ki said:

<sighs>

I'm disapointed that you've taken my comments that way, again for about the 50th time, there is no bike snobbery or any reference to how much cash people have to buy bikes with. I even did a thread where I showed how easy it was to buy your way in to left-field brands for less than a Tesco bike.

I dont want to get into an argument (again) but....

Comparing this to 'Kona' is a little rude towards the frame builder, sloping top tubes have been around much longer than the Kona brand name. And, to be honest its like comparing a Ford Focus with say, a Morgan Aero 8...

I cant afford either, as it happens!

Re-read your initial comment:

but who cares what 'Kona owners' think!

It reads, "I couldn't give a shiny shit what a large population of this site think about this lovely bike". That in a nut-shell reads like bike snobbery.

If this is the 50th time you've had explain that's not what you meant then perhaps you might want to think before you type. Just a suggestion.

It is a cracking bike so let's not let this ^^^ get in the way of that.

Back