Guerciotti Record

cromoman

Retro Guru
Here's the spec and some pictures of a Guerciotti Record I've just built up. New frame from Planet X was too tempting at £300 frame/fork/headset delivered. Built up with mostly an 8 speed Record groupset I had in the bits box. Seeking some Record cranks to finish it off.

It's the only 8-speed bike I've got, so I didn't want to bother with 8-speed hubs if I could help it. Luckily, my brother gave me some 10-speed Record hubs for Christmas so I've built them up with some Ambrosio Excellight rims that were lying around. I've cobbled an 8-speed cassette by using the first 8 sprockets from a 9-speed one with 8-speed spacers.

First ride was on Saturday, perfect once I'd found a seat binder bolt that was the right length.

DSCF0918.JPG

DSCF0920.JPG

DSCF0921.JPG

DSCF0922.JPG

Frame: Guerciotti Record

Headset: Dura-ace 7400
Stem: Nitto Pearl
Handlebar: Cinelli 64-44 Giro D'Italia
Bar Tape: Fizik

Brake Levers/Brifters: 1993 Campagnolo Record 8-speed
Brake Calipers: 1995 Campagnolo Record

Front Derailleur: 1995 Campagnolo Record
Rear Derailleur: 1995 Campagnolo Record Titanium 8-speed
Cassette: First 8 sprockets of 9-Speed Campag with 8-speed spacers
Chain: Mavic
Cranks: Campagnolo Chorus (2004?)
Chainrings: Chorus 53/39
Bottom Bracket: Tifosi
Pedals: Look Keo

Rims: Ambrosio Excellight
Hubs: Campagnolo Record 9/10 speed 32-hole
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo Record
Nipples: Sapim alloy
Spokes: Sapim Laser
Tyres: Conti (temporary as they don't look quite right)

Saddle: Regal
Seatpost: Campagnolo Daytona Steel

Bottle Cage: Elite

Weight: 9.8kg

I've been eyeing up the Planet X stock, too, but have restrained myself, so far.

Your build looks great - the bar tape and saddle really give it a retro cool look.

Happy mile munching,

David

Thanks for the compliments gents.

I think Planet X have sold all theirs now, but Total Cycling have a few for £380 ex headset.

A couple of points to note though. The transfers aren't the best, they're nicely lacquered over but you can see some marks from the printing. Also, the seatstay is a little close to the smallest sprocket so I've had to use a narrower chain to avoid rubbing with a 13t sprocket.

It's a little longer in the top tube than suggested by the Guerciotti size chart, and the head sube a little shorter. This actually worked out well becuase I was able to put the Nitto Pearl stem that I'd got in my parts box on.

Lovely!

I have a similar build, mainly Italian bits on an English frame - a Bob Jackson Audax Club. It rides superbly, comfortable, sprightly and springy. However, a part of me regrets not going totally Italian with a chassis such as the Guerciotti Record. How does the GR ride?

Here's my BJ...

picture.php

Specced out with:
Campagnolo Veloce 2008 (53/39, 11-25)
Ambrosio Excellence rims on Chorus hubs
Veloflex Pave tyres
NOS San Marco seatpost
San Marco Regal saddle
Nitto Noodle bars
Nitto Dynamic stem
Stronglight headset

Attachments

• BJ fence smaller.jpg
    BJ fence smaller.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 9,811
what was the issue with the binder bolt ? I had to cut an 18mm one shorter to fit my Merckx. something like that ?

The binder bolt needed a washer. When the two halves of the bolt met in the middle - i.e. can't tighten any more because thread has run out, there wasn't enough clamping pressure to hold the saddle.

Shannon: I'm lucky enough to have the Guerciotti and a Bob Jackson Audax Club. The Guercuiotti rides very nicely, but is a bit more aggressive than the Bob Jackson. If I could only have one bike, I'd have the Bob because it can take mudguards. Thankfully, I have room for both.

That looks great. But what's the deal with the frame - did Planet X pick up a load of new old stock or is it still in production? It looks classic and timeless...

Latest posts

Back