2001 Kona Cinder Cone - My 2011 XC Build

I'll have to try the RK's. The MK's get rubbish reviews but even in cheapo wire 2.4 form I've found them fantastic. They roll well and are predictable no matter what the weather. Some 2.2 RK's will be added to my 'want' list :)

Need to do some polishing before the decals go on. Spent too much time over the last few days breaking my Enduro up. Once it's polished within an inch of it's life, then the decals will grace it. Haha :)

Well, with the Enduro split the Cinder Cone has got a nice selection of parts on it. Plus I've got it down to 25.8lbs even with the wire MK tyres on.

Will post up some pictures tomorrow :)

Revised spec:

Frame: 2001 Kona Cinder Cone butted aluminium, canti mounts removed and frame stripped and hand polished
Forks: Fox F80 RL
Headset: FSA Intellaset (aheadset)
Stem: Exotic 90mm o/s
Handlebar: Truvativ Stylo Race Flat Bars 2009 o/s, 600mm wide
Seatpost: No-name
Seat: Specialized BG
Gear levers: Shimano SLX
Brakes: Shimano XTR (M975)
Chainset: Shimano XT Hollowtech 2
Front Mech: Shimano XT
Rear Mech: Shimano XT
Chain: SRAM PC951 with powerlink
Wheels: Superstar Subzero XC/AM

Tyres and seatpost are next on the list :)

Picked up a Giant XTC bike today for the frame, which will soon be swopped for the Cinder Cone frame. Will save just over 1/2 lb in weight, which means the 24 lb boundry is in sight :)

New frame :)

IMG_0011.jpg

Seems a drastic (expensive) way to save 1/2 pound!

Was there any reason otherwise that you swapped? Did you not like the Kona?

Giant frame looks nice though.

Shouldn't work out as much cost by the time I've sold the Cinder Cone frame and all the parts from the Giant. The current XTC frame retails at over £400, so the way I've worked things should come out alright.

Cinder Cone is a cracking frame, can't fault it at all. Can't even say the weight was a real reason for buying the Giant. Just the opportunity came up and I went for it.

Interested in what the XTC is like, I looked at one but reviews were a bit mixed.

You put a lot of effort into the Kona, shame to see it go. :(

The Cinder Cone continues it's journey. Just added the following:

USE seatpost (chrome with a black top)
Set of XT shifters to replace the SLX ones
Pair of Red X-Lite stubbie bar ends
Pair of folding Maxxis Cross Mark tyres (2.1")
Shimano Saint/SLX cassette

Pics to follow :)

Latest posts

Back