rBoTM February 2011 - Nominations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
* Positioning saddle and steerer of the Carlton is not quit I like. Can image it is not ehh.. pleasurable.
* Peka very nice indeed. I should have used the brake levers the old way, not aero like. So cable from the top of the levers.
* The bottle cage of the Colnago Saronni is from a slightly later era I believe, but certainly a favorite.
* The Grandis is however most authentic.
A little doubt left.

dutchie":3j4qk2im said:
* Peka very nice indeed. I should have used the brake levers the old way, not aero like. So cable from the top of the levers.

No you shouldn't. This is how Peter Serier modified them. You can read about them in the topic.

Elev12k":1ga61um3 said:
dutchie":1ga61um3 said:

No you shouldn't. This is how Peter Serier modified them. You can read about them in the topic.

OK, clear. I read about the modification. But did not know if these were originally from Serier or of a later owner. I (as an old man) do prefer the earlier type of cable routing. The one on the Saronni is far better then on the Grandis. I like the routing of the rear cable over the front one. Silly maybe :? , but ...

dutchie":2e5qm28w said:
* Positioning saddle and steerer of the Carlton is not quit I like. Can image it is not ehh.. pleasurable.
* The bottle cage of the Colnago Saronni is from a slightly later era I believe, but certainly a favorite.
* The Grandis is however most authentic.
A little doubt left.

It suits me fine, not to everyones comfort I suspect through! :D

dutchie":2hnlzeuk said:
Elev12k":2hnlzeuk said:
dutchie":2hnlzeuk said:

OK, clear. I read about the modification. But did not know if these were originally from Serier or of a later owner.

The previous owner was the 1st owner for this bike. He were son of an employe of the Amsterdam Peperkamp shop. The PEKAs were the 100% competion frames they carried and there were built by Peter Serier. This PEKA was entirely tailored to the 1st owner and the levers were part of that. The previous owner told me 5 bars were sacrificed before Peter were happy with the result.

From the back of the lever housing Peter machined a little material away, so the surface where the stepped ferrule bumps is perfectly vertical and flat. Later, when aero era became an reality, there were more modifications done to Nuovo Record levers. An improvement to later modifications is that people became aware it is better to drill a hole in the levers and to fit the (inner-)cable end there, on the outside, instead of in the regular barrel. Resulted in improved brake feel.

Great bikes! I hope there are going to be some more entries. Every month we see quality machines. This month will be enjoyably tough....i will have to come back a couple of times to view before I make up my mind ....

1988 7-11 Team Serotta - this bike came via Ben, so confirmed provenance. Probably a spare since it has some weird details - like the MA40 clinchers and the ultegra brakeset - bike is as it was (except for the ugly valve stems which will be changed).

5341157849_ecbeb94248_o.jpg

5341863412_ab61683fc0_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back