A rare find? UK made...Zinn Z-Centaur 92

There were compact chainsets available in '92 ?? I remember having 24,36,46 chainrings and a 12-28 cassette back then but nothing like "proper compact"....though I can just about remember suntour's microdrive stuff coming out.

cleaning

made some adjustments to the Zinn, trued up the front wheel, changed pedals checked all the bits were tight ;)

A quick 5 mile loop to see how it rides...Very nice!

Feels very lively/alive with the steep road angles and stretched position.

Tomorrow im stripping the hubs and checking out what lurks inside..

Progress

Over the weekend i made a start on cleaning up and checking over the Zinn.

Serial number is Z92231 that will make it a 92?

Stripped both the hubs down! The rear hub required a new cone on one side and fresh bearings. I used Phil Wood grease to pack them. Quite an education putting the 8 spd cassette back together. Each cog has a set of letters, and they have to be put back on in a specific sequence depending on cog size :shock: Anyway it wasnt to bad :LOL:

Next thing was to polish up the frame and look for any problems. Not bad at all for a 19 year old bike.

Next few days ill strip the headset and bottom bracket and tidy up anything else cables etc.

Attachments

• Mystery hubs 2 141.jpg
    Mystery hubs 2 141.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,615
  • Mystery hubs 2 138.jpg
    Mystery hubs 2 138.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,615
Paint

Rod_Saetan":1nos20eb said:
Yup, a 92. Looks nice and clean, its thick powdercoat eh?

Read somewhere that the paint is stove enamel. :idea: It really came up well with just a wee bit of elbow grease :roll:

I will definately take some proper pictures to try and capture the condition of the bike.

About as rare as hand-built uk bikes can come. Searching for a car metaphor....vintage ferarri...except obviously they aren't uk. Vintage triumph maybe ??? Mk 1 Triumph Stag ?? or Triumph GT6 mk3 ?

Latest posts

Back