531c seatpin size

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
I have 2 mid eighties Raleighs. Both 531c . One happily takes a 27.2 seat pin which is the general norm yet the other doesn't want to know. Odd. Anyone come across this? Bearing in mind that according to Tony Oliver it really should be a 27.4 but few frames are properly reamed to fit that size.

both raleighs should be 27.2 no question. I'd say, its either not 531Comp, poss just badged as being so, or the top of the seat collar lug has been slightly deformed (ovalised) so the round pin wont fit. A bit of fettling should restore the shape

I have an '84 531c Road Ace, and an '84 531c Record Ace and a 531ST Classic 15. All take 27.2mm seat posts. Any chance your seat tube has been clamped up too tight at some point and needs easing open again?

27.2. Been over tightened and i found the known original seat pin to confirm. Its not a frame I have used, inherited it 15 years ago when a mate died on it. Funnily enough there's the exact frame on ebay, probably from the same batch that were supplied to students at Bangor Normal college. This was the 82 batch. the name on the ebay version BB was at BNC that year.

Back