Retrobike National Series Event - Cannock Aftermath

REKIBorter":3qjc4kwn said:
To round off a perfect day they played this on the radio during my journey home - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuN2PyQY ... re=related

Always good to ride with a fellow Radio Two man.
Heard that as we were leaving the car park.

How did LGF manage to drive and work after that day out?

Just trying to organise myself and my kit for a Club trip to Manchester velodrome now. Great weekend.

Stickers Did I miss these at the start? Where there frame stickers?

Attachments

• Cannock_Retrobike_ride_2011_021a.jpg
    Cannock_Retrobike_ride_2011_021a.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,276
I managed to crawl in around 2am, very, very tired.

A proper thank you for such a decent event. I remembered the single track being excellent from 2010 when I had the Chute.

But, what made this time round even more exciting was the fact that I was riding 20 year old tyres and a previously un ridden 20 year old+ bike...

A very big thanks to Letmetalktomark for the lift and the road trip conversation.

High points:

Old Ned's search for the 'Q' factor on my frame

Illicit drug taking

The beer

The singletrack

The bike

The Saracen Conquest

The last piece of (excellent) brownie

Heathy's constant bellowings of encouragment

The one time I could genuinely shout 'COMING THROUGH!!!!' at the top of my voice as I really really needed the space at a near 30mph

The table of freebies and after ride sales

Not so high points

The long jetwash queue and I only managed to clean one shoe.

The mud

The cut-up routes

The wet slippery rocks that were not natural to the area but put in place to make the most of the 'Rad skills'. Apologies for those behind me, I really did not have the skills to make my bike go down trail centre style sections.

The echoing thunk of mud encrusted chains trying to engage gears.

The usual thanks are there for John, Ededwards and Sinnett177 for the organizing.

More thank yous for the man who gave me the computer parts, Johnyboy666 for the bike bits, Heathy for the £20 XT thumbies and £5 Manitous.

The mud has stained my hands a peculiar colour and none of my clothes came out of the wash any cleaner than they went in. I'll hope to get a RB jersey soon as a blindingly white T-shirt is not the most suitable attire.

The bike was the much publicised Harry Quinn. It turned out to be a revelation, absolute perfect climber only spoilt by a loose headset and too long a stem. It recieved some interesting looks tin the jetwash queue ranging from alarm to long stares of interest.I now have big shoulders from hoiking that overlong stem around the hairpins.

I was a bit surprised to find myself in the middle of the pack, normally my fitness only allows for me to be with the 'cool' 'kids at the back.

I absolutely recommend the Tioga Farmer John Cousin with a 20 year out of date review for a front tyre, spot on. My front wheel was clean as the tyre shed mud straight onto me rather than the rim allowing my front brake to work in any condition.

The beer was just right for the end of the ride. If I didnt have to work that evening I would have had more and regaled Mark with my excellent yodelling skills all the way home.

Note for the next ride: If Ededwards says that its not muddy, bring wellies.

Many thanks to the organisers for putting on a great day out and all who contributed food / beer etc. Well worth the effort if anybody is considering getting themselves to one of these national meets. Now, I suppose I should go and clean that bike - oh goody.....

Yet another perfect day's riding ;) Glad i came along now as the trails there are very good.
Thanks to all involved.

Had a great day as always, what a turn out, brilliant.
I can't do climbs, what's that all about!

P1040578.jpg

Highs:
The sheer amount of us.
New faces.
Beer!
Karma.
The jumble sale.
Hoards of nice metal.

Lows:
My fitness (as always).
Face first down the rock garden.
Scratched watch.
Cracked Garmin, gutted!

Overall a really great day out, thanks to all involved and all who came.

Some Pics:
http://cid-6c8f1addd468c1b6.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/RetroCannock

Looks like a top day. I really must sort out a 'new' retrobike and come along to one of these things again.

Last rode the Dog/Monkey during the heavy snow in December, they've done a good job on the trails there over the past couple of years.

hey guys, i have uploaded the photos although i am struggling with the video stuff at the mo. i don't know why but it seems it will not transfer from the camera to the laptop :? :x

i haven't had a good look through the pics yet but here is a link to photobucket with all of them, about 300, there's only alot because i was using batch setting on the camera to try and catch everyone as you went by some pics are of nothing! the gaps between riders etc.

if any of you want to look through the pics and download a few of them then upload the good ones here then please do so, i want to get some of the vid footage sorted, i just wish i was more technically minded!!! :roll:

anyway here is the link, this also includes the thetford stuff but this link should go to the cannock stuff first.

http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad13 ... oy6666666/

:D

Back