Retrobike National Series Event - Cannock Aftermath

Top day out, credit to Ed for doing the bulk of the organising.

Highlights

-40 plus riders again! On some of the switch backed trails it was great seeing old school bikes and kit stretching ahead and behind.
-The banter.
-The retro beer and food. Thanks to Spencer13 and Ed.
-The trails and mud. Not looking forward to trying to find a bike under the muddy mess in the garage at some point.
-Ed & Paul's special morning together. Sure it was a highlight for Paul at least. Explains why Ed was playing "Sensual Healing" on the Mini's stereo - there was me thinking he was a Marvin Gaye fan.
-First outing on the crabon Trek. It may be deeply uncool but I thought it rode great.
-The apres-ride swap meet. A fixture for future events?

Lowlights

-The puncture from the wacky races style nail within a mile. Luckily nobody painted a tunnel on a cliff face further round, was on my guard though.
-The crabon Trek's gears. Who would've thought a trip to the local shop to return a DVD was insufficient testing for an unknown block / chain / chainset combo. Think Heathy likened it to a 'machine gun' on the first climb.

Look forward to seeing more pics.

See you all again at HONC or the Forest.

Terrific day. Thanks for the beer, food, chat, and friendship, great to meet new faces and catch up with old ones.
I don't think the Monkey Trail was meant for fully rigid, and having bounced round, mostly out of control, I feel somewhat battered ... but happy. See you in the FOD

It always warms the heart to see so many immaculate bikes that the owners are willing to actually use for their original purpose.

Great day out with some great riding, company, mud, food, weather, karma, bargains and bikes.

John":zhqydruk said:
Ed & Paul's special morning together. Sure it was a highlight for Paul at least. Explains why Ed was playing "Sensual Healing" on the Mini's stereo - there was me thinking he was a Marvin Gaye fan.

Cheers for that John.

Once he'd skillfully separated me and marctwotone from the rest of the group, Ed's special route took in all the sweet fire-road climbs and wide, straight, non technical fire-road descents, negotiated at a moderate, gentlemanly pace. The steeper climbs involved Ed dismounting and running his bike up the hills shouting "Hear the big dog bark!"
I kept pointing out likely looking bits of singletrack, but Ed reassured me that we were on the right route with the endless fire-roads and occasional footpaths.

Anyway, despite what he may tell you, the bruises on Ed's inner thighs were nothing to do with me.

drystonepaul":2byebn76 said:
Ed's special route took in all the sweet fire-road climbs and wide, straight, non technical fire-road descents, negotiated at a moderate, gentlemanly pace.

Now known as the 'Penmachno Special' route type? :LOL:

wwow hasnt cannock changed , i realy enjoyed the trails today great fun, some nice bikes there too ,cheers for the sack rumage edd :LOL: and cheers folks for another great day out :D :D
another sticker :cool:
Lee

legrandefromage":2l60oiqg said:
I have just finished work.

I am tired

But happy....

...and I'm just setting off, also tired but not so happy! Hopefully this thread will see me through the day :cool:

The things we do :x to pay for our (anodised) trinkets :LOL:

Really enjoyed today

Good Riding

Good Karma

Good Jumble

Good Folks, and Beer

Some pictures, taken before the ride
P2120621.jpg

P2120620.jpg

P2120619.jpg

Back