Campag hub bearings and cones

drumnagorrach

Dirt Disciple
More questions folks.
Whilst installing my new rear 14/28 6 speed shimano freewheel ( I think I have the terminology right now )on to my Campag hub I found that my cones were a bit pitted,the balls seem to be 1/4 in. dia. Are the cones still available,and where from ?.
The front cones are equally pitted,do they run on 1/4in. balls also ?
Cheers
Lee
:D
Heres a couple of pics, I can't decide what they are. Ideas ?
1251 small flange maybe ?

Attachments

• Hubs 005.jpg
    Hubs 005.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 986
  • Hubs 007.jpg
    Hubs 007.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 986
The ball size depends on the model. VeloBase will be a help to determine what model you have and what size balls they need.

I could be of help with rear cones. Not with front. I am in Holland however, so keep me as back up option.

Those hubs look like Campagnolo Tipo they use 1/4 bearings on the rears and smaller 7/32 on the front.

Yes, Nuovo Tipo/Nuovo GS. The front one use the more regular 3/16 balls however, unlike the NR/SRs. The cones are of lower quality. The rear cones can be switched out with NR ones, but the fronts of course not.

First you need to know whether the bearing cups are OK. It would be better and a lot cheaper to find an old pair of wheels with decent Campagnolo record hubs and use your rims. Or get wheels that are suitable.
If the cones are worn all round then probably been overtightened, so wearing the cups as well. If worn on one side more likely water damage.

Yes ,your right about the water damage, the bad cones are pitted , I cleaned rust off them before greasing and reassembling.
At the moment all is useable, not too growly when spun. I initially bought the bike with the idea of doing the minimum to use it as a winter traing bike,however, I re spayed it, got the correct trasfers,and have got bitten by the bug,( could be my job I'm a maintenance engineer )just don't like anything iffy.
I have ridden about 80 miles on it since the snow cleared off,and compared to my mountain bike ,it's a rocket,the more I ride it the more I like it.
I could probably reface the cones ,if they arn't just case hardened,anyone know how deep the surface hardening goes ?
Cheers
Lee

Lee, most cones were case hardened to about .012 inch, if you were lucky, and some of that would be ground off.
The original GS hubs had hard chrome surface.
You could try spinning them up and dressing up the surface, fit new balls with some super modern lube, and see what happens. It could get a bit more life out of them.

I was the local lightweight retailer in the 1950's and 60's, a bit past it now.

Yes, Will try fine emery in the lathe,and new balls,maybe a succession of new balls will establish a reasonable running surface.
cheers
Lee

Back