MKM Dilemma

ming45

Retro Newbie
I am new to this forum but I have been into cycling for quite a while.

I have an MKM frame, serial #3198, that I bought used in 1975 and had repainted by Jim Redcay. I am going to rebuild it and have a dilemma as to what era equipment to install. I have the following choices:

Campagnola NR complete with high or low flange wheels and Cinelli bar and stem. (Original Equipment)
Campagnolo Record Ergo 8 speed group with low flange wheels, same bar and stem.
Shimano Dura-Ace 9 speed brifters and derailleurs, various cranks, bars and stems.
Shimano Ultegra-600 8 speed brifters and derailleurs and again various other equipment.
Shimano 600 tri color 8 speed.
Shimano 600 plain 7 or 8 speed, DT shifters.

Decisions, decisions, to cold set or leave as is, arggghhhh, will follow with pictures after I have enough posts.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Bill

ming45":31tch4r3 said:
Yes, I have and I am sending Robin Hatherell a set of photos this weekend.

That's good, I'll probably be seeing him next weekend at the Whalley jumble. That's my Ultimate on the front page of the site.

MKM

A 1975 MKM would probably be fitted with either Sun Tour or Zeus equipment from Ron Kitching just down the road.
Zeus 2000 stuff was awesome.

Old Ned":1oj2wk86 said:
ming45":1oj2wk86 said:
That's my Ultimate on the front page of the site.

That's very interesting - I like the look of the MKM Ultimate and the similar Sun Manx TT (Are they much the same ?)

I've had a hankering to acquire one or the other for quite some time. Mind you, the Missus thinks I've too many bikes, so one of my existing steeds would have to go. :(

But what are they like to ride ? Is there much difference from a 'standard' frame ? I'd be interested to know the 'pluses' and 'minuses' of such frames/bikes.

love the L-shaped cranks ned. Reassuring to see that even BITD the marketing men were selling us "crap" (the last word not intended as offence, merely illustrating the futility of it). Having said that, they are very much at home on a testing bike of the period

Sorry for the delay. Here are the pictures of the MKM frame.

Attachments

• MKM1.JPG
    MKM1.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,192
  • MKM2.JPG
    MKM2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,192
  • MKM4.JPG
    MKM4.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,192
Back