carbon frames and post sticking issues.......

saltyman

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
are these known to stick together?

and if so, what do i use to stop it happening.

my latest carbon bike has carbon everything else, and while its spot on now, i dont want issues in the future.

been reading up and found it can be an issue for some, i thought with it being non metal, how could it be an issue?

just wondering.

This stuff works well

Ritchey Liquid Torque
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39481
39481.jpg

The Ritchey Liquid Torque creates extra friction between two surfaces, allowing tightening torque to be reduced by up to 30%

• Particularly useful for use where over-clamping can damage sensitive components such as Carbon bars or steerer tubes
• Approved for use with carbon, steel, alloy and titanium surfaces
• Use with Ritchey Torque key to ensure safe installation of Ritchey bars and stems
• 5g Sachet

It's a huge problem.

The only way to prevent it is to take your seatpin out every couple of months, regrease it with carbon paste and refit.

It is also CRUCIAL that you don't overtighten as this makes seizure even more likely.

If possible use a seatpost and frame where you know the size is very precise and not just an approximation. Put 27,2 seatpost that really measures 27,3 into a 27,2 frame that really measures 27,1 and you will see what I mean. This happens more regularly than you might think.

I have two roadbikes with carbon posts. A winter trainer in Alu and nicer carbon summer frame.

Both post are solid. Arse. Both wiped clean and dry so no grease at all before fitting.

So yes, its a BIG issue.. and I now have two frames with me for life (as long as legs dont shrink)

:evil:

Back