MBK Mirage 1991

stewlewis

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My first drop bar bike, ever, never ridden one, it's not boutique, it's not special but it's mine :)

An MBK Mirage.

I like the frame shape and the paint job. It has Shimano RX100 groupset which apart from the chain is complete down to the pedals. Judging by this link it's a 1991 set.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Shimano_Bicycle_System_Component_-_91_Page_39.html

Shimano%20catalogue%2091%2042-filtered.jpg

I can't find any info on the original spec.

Saddle has been replaced with a WTB Shadow V SLT Ti, white and blue/silver, this I received from a kind RB member and is too good not to use.

I have yet to clean and polish it and can't decide on tyres and tape, to stay retro (saddle has scuppered that) or to go colourful modern?

Keep it retro! A good clean and polish of all the bits will make a world of difference. Have a look at jCymbal's labour of love on his Gazelle. Inspirational!

You could do the same ;)

Looks very retro indeed. I like the peirced seat tube design. I almost bought one of these frames off eBay a few months back.

I liked that seat tube design too, it has an allen bolt in the rear instead of a clamp, with a rubber dust seal and allen bolt plug.

It looks kinda cool all trendied moderned up too:

http://www.boutiquecycles.com/bikes/details/snowflaked_mbk/

As the groupset is original on mine I'll go for the polishing resto job.
I'd like to keep the saddle but it's modern.
And I'm tempted to go with pink or red tyres, and or tape.

Should I be burned alive?

Ah, interesting and unusual - even in the day I don't recall seeing many of these.

I've owned an MBK 'Trainer' since 1992: I'd be reasonably confident that it's the same frameset, but the 'Trainer' was originally fitted with a pretty much bottom end Shimano groupset. Mine's been upgraded to a mix of 105/600/Dura-Ace as things have worn out, and it's been ridden for years as a day-ride bike.

5015218224_a8c2320c71.jpg

I've not long got a Condor Fratello for that job, so the MBK has been converted to a SS and now gets used to whip about town on.

Terrible picture tho' I grant you ...
:D

5378777846_56d299aaf0.jpg

I've also seen this frame design in a step-through 'ladies' frame shape too, which actually made for quite a pretty looking bicycle (of it's type).

I've cleaned it up and put it back together.
Just waiting for chain and gear cables.

First time I've dealt with downtube shifters. Should they line up now, without cables? The rear has index or friction, when set to index it seems to have 5 clicks, a big gap then 7 clicks. I've put it on 7 yet they don't line up when pushed forward as in pic.

I prefer SPDs to clips, is it possible to fit SPD attachments where the clips bolt to the RX100 pedals?

1991_MBK_Mirage.JPG

With both levers pushed right forward they should line up with the downtube (600 Ultegra left lever sits slightly high to allow easier shifting, I don't think RX100 is the same) and be in 7th gear and on the small chainwheel.

Bike is lovely, always liked them. Thought the lower seat stays created a nice tight rear triangle making the rear end nice and stiff. Never had one though so don't know if it actually made any difference.

Don't think you can bolt on SPD attachments you'll have to just fit different pedals.

Tel":qyzjhiuz said:
With both levers pushed right forward they should line up with the downtube (600 Ultegra left lever sits slightly high to allow easier shifting, I don't think RX100 is the same) and be in 7th gear and on the small chainwheel.

Got the chain and cables on today, as you can see the pic has updated.
The lever does sit slightly forward, I can live with that.

I've just got to get it set up right for rider and give it a proper spin.
My first drop road bike so I have nothing to compare it to.

I've got one of these! It's lovely. I took the paint off and resprayed because of too many chips and scratches (and it was purple into turquoise fade, ew) and went 'hellelfenbein' (light ivory). Bit sloppy but from far it's gorgeous.

But the allen bolt ruins seatposts! It just screws straight down on the post, so the previous owner overtightened and now there's just a massive dent all down the tube where it was adjusted. I probably put my own new dent in too. So don't bother putting a nice seat post in there and wrecking it.

Other than that, quite light, weird and wonderful looking, and with some parts upgrades its taking me up the hills

Back