Not Retro but ; Anyone ride tubeless

Re: Weight

Wold Ranger":2yjh3120 said:
It's not just a bit of weight! Generally about 800 to over 1000g extra per pair of wheels. on the trail and up our Yorkshire hills, that slows you down (and takes the fun out of the job) seriously. Liners, tyres and the slime can weigh a Kilo per end! If you're only taking it steady you won't notice any difference, but pushing it up a steep long hill, believe me it tells big style and why they are not that popular still on the XC circuit.

Believe me I don't hang around and I'm very rarely overtaken, using standard tyres with Joe's isn't the weight increase that you imagine. Check out justridingalong's website for info.

tyres

I thought if you used standard tyres, you could not run them at low pressures 28/30 psi as they would roll off the rim and flatt out? Thereby if you pumped them to 40 plus, you lost all the advantages of tubeless :? I still keep it simple and light, would never use tubeless, too messy, too heavy.

Tubes or no tubes?? I've been brought up tubes. Life is easy. I still see no point in running an mtb or come to that a road bike tubeless.

Re: tyres

Wold Ranger":3tqm6qih said:
I thought if you used standard tyres, you could not run them at low pressures 28/30 psi as they would roll off the rim and flatt out? Thereby if you pumped them to 40 plus, you lost all the advantages of tubeless :? I still keep it simple and light, would never use tubeless, too messy, too heavy.

The advantage to me of using tubeless is the lack of puncture stops.

How much weight does a Tubeless kit save?

Obviously it depends on what you're swapping with it. If you're converting from tubes you lose the weight of the tube and rim tape, which can be as much as 300 grams (or more if you use really thick tubes).
If you're converting from another tubeless system you'll usually find that the weight of the conventional tubeless tyre is much more than the equivalent "normal" tyre which you can use with Tubeless kits. Tubeless kits on average weigh about 110g fully installed.

Man, with the thorns where I bike I'd even considered solid tyres! :shock: (Briefly I might add.) As to the weight of a solid tyre I thought, 'Hell, it's extra training! I'll reap the benefit by becoming stronger!' :LOL:

TNT

The way I see it? it's like this, tubeless have been around for a long time now in various guises and yet less than 5 percent of MTB'rs use them I wonder why? Because tubes are much less of a faff and lighter, enough said. My tubes only weigh 100g, rimtapes 15g ,you need at least 100g of slime for an effective seal. not great sloshing around in your tyres.
I use latex tubes and don't get thorn punctures. If you want total puncture proof, use Kevlar banded tyres like Armadillos.

Re: TNT

Wold Ranger":3uv10vf7 said:
The way I see it? it's like this, tubeless have been around for a long time now in various guises and yet less than 5 percent of MTB'rs use them I wonder why? Because tubes are much less of a faff and lighter, enough said. My tubes only weigh 100g, rimtapes 15g ,you need at least 100g of slime for an effective seal. not great sloshing around in your tyres.
I use latex tubes and don't get thorn punctures. If you want total puncture proof, use Kevlar banded tyres like Armadillos.

I looked on Christophe Sauser's website and I'll pass on to you two pieces of interesting information (well, I thought so) - one is that despite using tubeless tyres with any weight disadvantage they might have, the full-suspension Epic that he races world xc on weighs 9.2kg (20.3lbs?!) and two that he runs tyre pressures of 28 psi front and rear. I reckon that explains it - he gets no flats (unless he rips a tyre on a rock - as he did in the last race, but still came fifth!), excellent cornering grip with 28psi, yet just as fast acceleration as a standard set up with 40psi, owing to better rolling properties. He must reckon that any slight weight difference is a price well worth paying for the dynamic advantages. Otherwise he wouldn't use them.

Wold Ranger said:

it probably depends on where you ride. Here in Italy 100% of racers use tubeless tires, and there's no way - not in Tuscany - you don't pinch or flat 1 time out of three if you run tubes. Remember here it's very dry and rocky and because of this bushes tend to be viciously thorny... tubeless tires have introduced another dimension to mtbking here...

Wold Ranger":2ogf5ftm said:

Mate, I've tried slime tubes and equivalent, downhill tubes and any other tube you might want to mention, kevlar strips, nylon strips, I even glued the two together to no avail! And I've tried the Armadillo tyres. Let me tell you that they are thorn resistant but not impervious, yes I got thorn punctures using them. The other thing is that they are sh1te in the gloop. I wouldn't buy them again unless they improved greatly. They weren't cheap either as I remember. :(

Thorns

I just use Latex and don't have a problem, just pull the thorns out after each ride. They puncture the tyre but not the tube.

Back