A rare find? UK made...Zinn Z-Centaur 92

otherself":1kt3x1ak said:
Indeed that is really nice. Nice geometry, 531 tubing, matching stem, Campy cranks...

Fork is 753.

cinnamon":1kt3x1ak said:
If i remember correctly the grip of choice was a odi attack grip. and saddle i saw on the displayed blue example they showed was a black turbo

Thats what I would do.

Whats the bar Joe? Are they Centaur levers and shifters, but both clamped onto the bar rather than the one piece version? Frame number?

Lovely lovely bike, one on my want list too :)

Isla Rowntree (of Islabike fame) and her partner (Andy Thompson?) were something to do with Zinn, hand made in the West Midlands and 99.9% of the time fitted with Sachs or Campy groupsets......Xeo on here used to have one back in the day!

I have a couple of articles somewhere, one in MBUK and one in another mag, have an old catalogue kicking around somewhere too.....Jo Burt used to have a white one covered in flowers....

Cheers
Stu

Ok, first go with the scanner on my whizzy Wi-Fi thingy, here goes....

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

img002.jpg

img001.jpg

Cheers
Stu

groupset

Rod_Saetan":agt0xx6r said:
otherself":agt0xx6r said:
Indeed that is really nice. Nice geometry, 531 tubing, matching stem, Campy cranks...

Fork is 753.

cinnamon":agt0xx6r said:
If i remember correctly the grip of choice was a odi attack grip. and saddle i saw on the displayed blue example they showed was a black turbo

Thats what I would do.

Whats the bar Joe? Are they Centaur levers and shifters, but both clamped onto the bar rather than the one piece version? Frame number?

The gear levers and brake levers are Iccarus. The groupset according to the Campag 92 brochure is a mixture of Iccarus & Record OR.

The chainset is also an Iccarus using standard sized chainrings rather than the smaller compact size of Record OR. They had the Smaller compact rings and a cassette type lockring.

The bars are 3T. Im sure they should be 531 but at least they are the right era ;)

More piccies when i start the cleanup.

Zinn

Cool!...Zinns were the bike of choice for both Mint Sauce, & Jo Burt back in the early 1990s...also riddnen to a National Champions win by Isla Rowntree of Team MBUK in I think 1992! What better U.K. retro creditionals can you ask for!

Geez... just did a double take.... I sold (and still regret it) my red Z-753 Team about 5 years ago.

[hazy memories] Yours is a Z-Centaur, as you know, it looks like a 1993, judging by the fork. Groupset is a mix of Campy, the canti's are Record OR, the other bits and pieces look like an Icarus/Centaur mix (brake levers are Icarus - the Record OR ones had alloy blades). The seatpost is Icarus, original seat was indeed a turbo and the original grips would have been ODI attack - the only non-Euro part on the entire bike!

Zinn was owned by Andy Thompson, and ridden by Isla Rowntree and Sally Hibberd BITD. Oh, and Mint/Jo Burt. I was told what happened to Zinn, but I've slept since then....!! They disappeared around 1994 I believe, so your frame would have been one of the last few Andy knocked out. There was some sort of financial problem IIRC?

The Z-Centaur I think was the middle of a range of three, the low-end was Sachs-equipped and the top two were Campag Centaur and Record. My Z-753 was the team edition top of the range and cost me £1,500. The Z-Centaur would have been about £1,000 new [/hazy memories]

Absolutely stunning bit of kit though. Mine was one of the sweetest riding bikes I've ever owned, with that zesty spring that steel bike owners are supposed to rave about.

Dibs if you ever decide to sell..... ;)

Holy guaccamoly!

This is so nice. I can understand you drove all that way to pick this up. I can only say wow. Its like a mix of KHS, IronHorse, Klein (stem) and Fat.

Back