Removing tub glue from rim

Either get it when it's half dry and peel it off with your thumb or use cellulose thinners on a rag, rub it over a few times and it'll soften it enough to rub off.
Good tip for future tub gluing is to put electrical tape around the rim so the excess glue sticks to that instead of the rim :D

I tend to scrape it with an old screwdriver and then wire brush. Old cement, when dried-up, seems to come away relatively easily. Newer cement, still tacky, can be left and a new thin coat (of the same brand if possible) applied on top, the solvent in the new layer will work on the old layer and the two together will stick the tyre.

Lots of 'discussion' on this and related tubular based topics on Triathlon, Time-Trialling and Road Racing forums!

And never the same answers.

Usually.

bhill22":169z1uo7 said:
thx,

cellouse thinners difficult to get now?

old rims its rock hard

I buy it from Wilkinson's, about £1.50 for a small bottle.
Just to add though I only use this for any overspill on the braking surfaces of the rim. Any old glue thats on the actual gluing surface itself stays on - as long as it's on there solidly.

The reason for removal of all glue is because I wanted to use tape - what's the verdict on that approach

bhill22":2jpp3ssw said:
The reason for removal of all glue is because I wanted to use tape - what's the verdict on that approach
My experience is that glue takes longer than the double sided adhesive tape, which dried out sometimes. Indeed it is quicker, but I believe glue is more secure, despite the efforts it takes.

Back