Question for all you m900 XTR experts

tinkerer

Dirt Disciple
My 1997 Proflex Animal is now the proud wearer of an m900 XTR crankset. I know its not quite period correct but it is such a nice crankset I couldn't resist it and sure enough it is great, light, strong and decent looking. At the moment I am just running a middle ring because, rather strangely, when the granny ring is fitted it is very close to the middle ring. So my question is as follows: do m900 XTR cranksets need some sort of pillar or spacer to position the granny ring away from the middle ring?

That's what I thought at first, but it appears to be more a problem to do with the spacing of the rings on the crankset rather than their position relative to the frame (i.e., the rings appear to be very close together).

The M900 XTR crankset I had did indeed have spacers, and from what I remember they were a funny size. I don't have it anymore so can be of no more use - but you are on the right lines.

That's reassuring - I thought my eyes were kidding me at first! I can maybe get some new spacers lathed up out of aluminium if I can work out the right size.

Yes 5 spacers . no more than 5mm I think .

measure the distance between the big and middle ring , and it should be similar to the middle to granny ring ?

Thanks for that, I'll try and persuade one of my engineering type buddies to lathe me up some new spacers.

Will Palmer":acbu360o said:
On a similar note - anyone know of a source for TopLine inner ring spacers?

Got a pile of em of some Graftons, as they designed by the same Guy, they might just fit.

Back