Respray - when? what? who?

It was £300 for the Gios - steep I know, but it's only when you see the finish you realise the effort - the white panels are painted and all the graphics are proper transfers copied from an original set. The frame only cost me a hundred, so I was still on par with the going rate for a frame of this model/vintage.

Hmm, this is a tricky one as the frame is a Dave Yates built mixture of fillet brazed and lugged Columbus Max so is definitely worthy of some love (plus, for a change, it fits) which may rule out the cheaper, purposeful powdercoat. But then, I don't really want to throw £150 at it unless I really have to.

Actually, this thread is pointless (ok, even more pointless) without a photo of how it already is. Up close it's much tattier than it looks in the photo (plus it now has a full Campag groupset, artfully mismatched nonetheless) and there are a few, superficial rust worms so respray might be sensible now to prevent any deterioration. But then again, why not ride as is given the weather and slurry rich state of Hereford roads?

But, what colour? I like the purple/pink Corsa Extra on eBay. And something garish/fluro really appeals too. Sometimes it's not easy being Libran.

Attachments

• Joe Waugh.JPG
    Joe Waugh.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,504
Ed, that's a tidy machine and certainly doesn't look as though it merits a respray. I'm certain of one thing, fluoro colours should be left firmly where they remain, about 1989! Obviously, a single colour will save considerable cost and I'd go for something that compliments the cream saddle and bars, perhaps a celeste blue, or even coffee brown with cream decals?

I had a Dave Yates respray done on a cross bike many moons ago and couldn't fault it - coped really well with off-road punishment.

Atlantic Boulevard - used them for a road frame about 6 years ago; not cheap but you do get your money's worth in terms of the finish and customer service; Neill Shankland is a really helpful bloke to deal with.

David

Why bother with a respray Ed, that looks fine! I've seen a heck of a lot worse.

I use Chris Marshall in Keighley, he does a lot of work for classic owners. Need to take a couple of frames over to him myself shortly.

BTW, Woodrups use Bob Jackson these days for their spraying, they've never had their own facility as far as I know. In the past they used Ellis-Briggs who did an excellent job but they packed up some time ago.

Thanks again all.

Believe me that the photo masks the worst pretty effectively although you're right that it isn't so tatty that it must have a respray just a nice frame that is worthy. I'll probably wait for now but it's good to consider options (and fluro is still on the list :twisted: ).

Back