98 GT Fillet Brazed Psyclone *FINISHED PICS*

coomber":ql1j5qkh said:
That has to be right on the limit weight wise for steel.
Super anyway, look forward to it being finished.

Not sure what limit you are speaking of. By limit do you mean as low as they could go? This frame is Reynolds 853 and up until sometime in late 97 all Psyclones were built with True Temper tubing GTX III, Platinum or Gold depending upon the year. In 98 they also changed the tubing spec, this 98 has a 31.8 mm seat tube and smaller down tube and top tube than the earlier years.

gm1230126":1cqhrwc8 said:
coomber":1cqhrwc8 said:
That has to be right on the limit weight wise for steel.
Super anyway, look forward to it being finished.

Not sure what limit you are speaking of. By limit do you mean as low as they could go? This frame is Reynolds 853 and up until sometime in late 97 all Psyclones were built with True Temper tubing GTX III, Platinum or Gold depending upon the year. In 98 they also changed the tubing spec, this 98 has a 31.8 mm seat tube and smaller down tube and top tube than the earlier years.

Yeah, sorry didnt explain. If I had a steel frame I would be concerned over its longivity if its weight was under 4lb. And if down to 3.5lb I would expect a high failure rate.

All this is guesswork though, would be interested to know what weight was achievable.

Finally got a decent riding day here today but wind gusts to 44mph so I decide to get this project finished.

Judy SL LT
GT CNC Crank w/46/36/26 XTR rings
M900 XTR Derailleurs
M737 Cantilevers
SL-M951 Shifters
Ritchey Logic Brake Levers
GT Post
Selle San Marco/Bontrager GT Embroidered saddle
Control Tech Stem
GT/AME grips
GT Alloy Bars
Salsa Seat QR
Mavic 217/XT wheels
XTR Cassette

Attachments

• IMG_8391.JPG
    IMG_8391.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 2,853
  • IMG_8390.JPG
    IMG_8390.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 2,853
  • IMG_8389.JPG
    IMG_8389.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 2,854
  • IMG_8385.JPG
    IMG_8385.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 2,854
Nice.

I like the colour indoors more though :D

I love fillet brazing. I must get one someday.

Group shot of the Psyclone family. Forgot to bring out the grandfather Cyclone for the picture, dumb me.

Attachments

• IMG_8398.JPG
    IMG_8398.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_8404.JPG
    IMG_8404.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,180
Opinion only, but in my mind running cantis and M900 derailleurs really look out of place on this frame.

Is this the final build or will more period correct parts be added as a later date??

andrewl":2toggm5t said:
Opinion only, but in my mind running cantis and M900 derailleurs really look out of place on this frame.

Is this the final build or will more period correct parts be added as a later date??

I just couldn't bring myself to put anymore of that gawd awfuk grey blue XTR stuff on there. Butt ugky in my opinion and I'm an old schooler that started riding mountain bikes in 82. I could/may switch it to a 98 Judy and XT v-brakes which would still look decent I guess.

Back