Dyna-Tech build - advice and opinins needed.

Raleigh USA used UK-made lugged/bonded steel frame (a model named
'Devil' I think). But a quick rummage around on the web and I'm not able
to find a Dyna-Tech like lugged aluminium model. There is a model
called 'Chilli', which is similar:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=86622&highlight=chill

It's not the same frame as the original posters (obviously, the Chilli
has a monostay rear triangle). But this does appear to be CrMo rear
triangle bonded to aluminium main tubes. BUT, without the bonded
aluminium lug head of Dyna-Techs.

A bit of a follow up on that.

Nishiki (the Japanese bike company)were owned by Derby Works and supplied steel & alloy bonded frames to Raleigh for the USA market in the early '90s The brand was sold around that period, but have obviously continued to produce bikes and frames since then under their own name.

One line of thinking is that this frame is a 'cheap' import sold through bike shops in the mid to late '90s. The other is that it is a rare, or unusual at least, Raleigh frame.

This Link between Nishiki and Raleigh and their expertise at bonding steel and alloy frames could point to the truth lying somewhere between the two. There are a lot of detail similarities between this frame and the Raleigh frames, but it is different enough to be 'different'. I'm starting to think that there is a possibility this could be a Nishiki frame, but not Raleigh branded.

Got a load more photos now.

Anyone any ideas??

DSCN2251.jpg

More here (Excuse the album title, it was suposed to have a '?' but photobucket won't allows alpha numeric) :roll: :

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l172/CJwiththeXJ/Dynatech/

Still looks great to me whatever it is. If you're worried about the brand, just try to build it up as cheap as poss; hang around for the bargains. That way you won't be out of pocket. And hell, it it looks as good or better when finished as it does now, and rides well who cares.

I don't think there are that many purists among us are there?

I guess so long as you don't actually call it a Dyna-Tech if unsure then it'll just be a nice looking, nice riding frame!

Any news on how you've decided to build it or will we have to wait and see?

Tim

Latest posts

Back