Help identifying Campag Canti's

NakedGav

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My dad has taken these wide profile Campag canti's off a touring frame he's just got but he can't find any markings to say what year/model they might be.
Anybody got any ideas ?

Attachments

• Campag.jpg
    Campag.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2,616
First generation mtb campagnolo. Around 1990
I agree with Melvin : Euclid, but perhaps, Centaur too ;)
1991, it was "L" design like dia-compe, and 1992, it was a design near grafton ;)

(If you want to sale them :LOL: ;) )

Use this simple checklist:

Is my Campagnolo MTB component ugly and unwieldly?

Yes: it is Euclid.

No: it is probably not Euclid.

They do not look like my Centaurs. The later are bulkier (yes, not as svelte as these) with a graphite coat.

So we can summise they are probably Euclids then :LOL:

24pouces":2azq7i3o said:
(If you want to sale them :LOL: ;) )

Funnily enough their value was going to be my next research point !

Is my Campagnolo MTB component ugly and unwieldly?

Yes: it is Euclid.

The U-brakes, chainset and levers certainly were, but personally I think the Centaurs are the ugliest cantilever:
Centaur.jpg

The Euclids are a sleek well finished Shimano copies, which work well with short pull and road levers, presumably rushed out when everyone hated the U-brake...

euclid11905.jpg

But the jewels are Record OR (Spherical split ball joint brake mountings, sealed springs and beautiful polised finish :shock: ):

record2.jpg

All the best,

I acquired two boxes Centaur brakes from my lbs in 1995. They were NOS back then and the lbs got hands on them through a bankruptcy of a distributor. I paid 50 guilders per box containing V+R, levers, hangers, cables and ferrules. I do not really have a problem with the Centaurs from an aesthetic point of view. They do not look elegant light, so they are not well suited for every build, but they are well finished with the distinctive 'century' style coat. The models under Centaur I am certainly no fan of. The levers and cantis are alike, but come with a plastic-coat finish that make them look very low-end.

The Euclid cantis will be somewhat lighter, but the overbuilt canti hangers make up for that. They look distinctive and imo quite cool however.

danson67":3v0xj93s said:
The U-brakes, chainset and levers certainly were, but personally I think the Centaurs are the ugliest cantilever:
Centaur.jpg

The Euclids are a sleek well finished Shimano copies, which work well with short pull and road levers, presumably rushed out when everyone hated the U-brake...

euclid11905.jpg

But the jewels are Record OR (Spherical split ball joint brake mountings, sealed springs and beautiful polised finish :shock: ):

record2.jpg

All the best,
Personally, I'd rate them (on looks) on the order you've posted them in:-

1. Centaurs
2. Euclids

and a very distant:-

3. Record OR

So distant, I don't like the look of them.

The only thing I'm not keen on with the Centaurs is the colour...

ANd with these cantis, you need the brake levers !

;)

For the "centaur" L calipers… I thought it was Euclid too : look at this 91 campy catalog graphite parts ;)

Back