Orange Ms Isle (Rebuilt September 2013)

*AJ*

Retro Guru
Just purchased myself a new project 4X bike.....

I love the way my patriot DH/FR bike rides and always fancied a Ms Isle so it was a no brainer really.

Here it is when it was delivered Saturday morning....

Iphone4AJ041.jpg

Iphone4AJ043.jpg

Twins...
Iphone4AJ045.jpg

The frame was in good shape, but I decided the colour was not what i was after, I also hated the rim brake bosses that the later frames do not have, so I set to work with the hacksaw.....

Iphone4AJ048.jpg

Iphone4AJ049.jpg

Iphone4AJ051.jpg

The offending bosses....

Iphone4AJ055.jpg

After that I spend some time with the file tidying up the bosses....

Iphone4AJ052.jpg

Iphone4AJ053.jpg

Iphone4AJ054.jpg

Iphone4AJ062.jpg

Iphone4AJ063.jpg

by this time, my fingers were numb... so I gave up and returned today, file in hand to finish the job....

Iphone4AJ038.jpg

Iphone4AJ039.jpg

Iphone4AJ040.jpg

Added a layer of guide coat to ensure id still got a square edge on the frame, then repeated the process on the other seat stay..

Iphone4AJ041-1.jpg

Iphone4AJ042-1.jpg

Iphone4AJ044.jpg

Iphone4AJ045-1.jpg

Iphone4AJ046.jpg

Finished and ready to go to the powder coaters for a fresh look, once ive decided on colour.....

Iphone4AJ047.jpg

Iphone4AJ048-1.jpg

Iphone4AJ050.jpg

Hi fella,

Saw this over on bikeradar, impressive finish on it. The 10th picture definately looks like you cut into the seatstay though?

Did you go for yellow in the end?

argh! couldnt you just cut neatly :shock:

nice frame anyway
it looks to me like it has the same front triangle as the patriot?
with the beefy downtube, does it weigh more than average?

update us on a colour when you decide ;)

always a premium on these frames

What did you use for filler? when they bake the frame will it drop out? The powdercoater I asked said braze / silver solder had to be used. ( I know yours is alloy) Just a heads up.

I haven't used any filler???

Nor have I cut into the seat stay....

The hole you can see is in part of the braze for the boss, not the frame.
The final pictures show it completely filed down not filled.

If you look at the first pic of the hole then you can see the untouched frame tubing below.

The cut is as neat as I could get it without risking cutting the frame. The square tubing makes it harder than normal. I'd rather file for longer than write off the frame by cutting into it.

It has gone yellow yes, well mango... Sort of orangey yellow.

*AJ*":2mk806ty said:
I haven't used any filler???

Nor have I cut into the seat stay....

Well in that case you have done a very neat job, well done!

The photos fooled me :(

Looking forward to seeing it after it's powdercoated.

Yeah the photos don't quite look right they don't allow you so see howmuch metal was left on the frame until you look really close.

Pick it up Wednesday! So will get pics up then! Can't wait!

Re: Orange Ms Isle project....

*AJ*":3u07714q said:

Sorry if my post was interpretted as negative, the pics above do look like you have cut into the stays though... although I appreciate you can see it in the flesh so that's good you haven't! Like you say, the photos obviously dont show it how it is if you know what I mean.

The finished pics look very nice so you have done a good job as it looks smooth.

Back