Specialized build :)

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Here we go. My first project build on the RB forum :)
I got myself a Specialized Hardorck Comp A1 19" from Mr Deadrats. Lovely condition i might add. I spruced up all my components (over a few months - in between fathering my son :p ) and embarked on the build :) - apologies for the quality of the images. i had to use my phone camera!

First in - Bottom bracket, Crankset (Deore M510 i think) and the headset cups (lovely pristine Tange Aheadset from World Ranger :D )
homemade headset press - although not used to its fullest potential as the cups went in relatively easily...:S :p

Image0241.jpg

Image0242.jpg

Rear Mech and Rear Brakes

Image0244.jpg

Image0245.jpg

Image0246.jpg

then the rear wheel (Zac Rim - Deore M510 hub) with a lovingly cleaned 8speed cassette :)
Image0247.jpg

Image0248.jpg

the saddle (Specialized) Seat post - USE shock post.

Image0249.jpg

Image0250.jpg

then the forks (Manitou Xvert), Front wheel (Zac rim, Shimano Hub), stem (specialized with Specialized and A2Z spacers)

Image0251.jpg

Handle bars (specialized) with XT M739 or 40 shifters - cant remember which model) and Shimano Servo wave levers and Specialized lock ons.

Image0253.jpg

Some money shots:
Image0254.jpg

Image0255.jpg

Image0259.jpg

Image0258.jpg

I'm slowly replacing the components on this with XT M739/40. just got my brake levers today :):) got a rear mech coming soon too :D just the crankset, front mech and possibly wheels and hubs too....

** thats my 98 FSR lurking in the background. im in the process of replacing all the components with LX M750/51. took a couple of shots of this - although just as bad a quality as the rest! Sorry! :oops:

Image0257.jpg

Image0256.jpg

more of this to come in the future (i started a thread ages ago with this build!!!)

nice bikes
the specialized has come together nicely

that stem is loooooong though! you get that from dead rats too?
hows it ride?

how much did the home made press cost you?

(needs to be moved)

cyfa2809":2yvtkl0q said:
nice bikes
the specialized has come together nicely

that stem is loooooong though! you get that from dead rats too?
hows it ride?

how much did the home made press cost you?

(needs to be moved)

thank you :)
the stem is looooooooong, i have a shorter one. Can't remember who i got the long one from, wasn't Deadrats though.

Home-made press cost me 'owt. raided my dads garage and he welded the washers together to help centre them in the cups. all in all, i'd guess it would cost me about 3-4 snids :)
Haven't taken it out yet, need to cable it up (white outers all round :) )
i think it'll look even better once i get all my XT components sorted. not too keen on the Deore 510 to be honest, it rides well, but i just don't like the look of it - a bit plain jane...
more pics to come - with a proper camera - once i get it all buckled up and ready to roll :)

ok cool

yeah i agree with you there
doesnt look bad and functions well but no oomph in the detail

Dead Rats":37iikm73 said:
coming along nicely, did you fit my BB?

i did indeed!! buttery smooth thanks :) cant wait to crack this out on the trails! need to start working off all the carbs im eating at the moment!!
just waiting for my XT M739/40 components to come together - got my levers, brakes and mech just need the god damn cranks, but they're a bitch to get hold of :(

update: GOT MY CRANKS :D waiting for them to arrive (hopefully next week) XT FCM739s, once they arrive i'll be fitting everything to it :) wouldnt mind some skinwall tyres to finish it all off really :)
pics will be uploaded as soon as i get my final parts..

:D

IMGP5289.jpg

IMGP5290.jpg

IMGP5288.jpg

IMGP5285.jpg

IMGP5291.jpg

i would like some XT pedals to finish it all off, but i think i can whistle for them, just seen a pair go on ebay for £60 :roll: :(

took it out for a very quick ride the other day, nice and smooth :) had to replace the front mech as the one i bought off ebay turned out to be all loose for some reason. replacement found failry quickly thank fully :)

Back