Some more. It's taken me all over the place, including Lewisham casualty :LOL:

Attachments

• 3219_165445545013_728005013_6647176_1929504_n.jpg
    3219_165445545013_728005013_6647176_1929504_n.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 8,012
  • n728005013_2078557_935.jpg
    n728005013_2078557_935.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 8,012
Don't fret about the modern stuff. I built my M-Trax up with new XT too. It's lighter, it works amazingly and I can get spares in pretty much any bike shop in the country.

My 'proper' retro bikes require their own tool box full of bits that are impossible to find anywhere else, just in case.

Sad times :cry: After two long seasons of commuting, my CC died a sad death on Friday night on the outskirts of Bromley when after one too many pot-holes, the frame "snapped" on the bottom tube by the gear hanger. A clean break.

I've not felt this gutted about anything non-human before. Tragic really. I used it Monday to Fridays and every other Saturday, along with a host of charity rides during the summers. I hate to think how many miles it's done...

...watch this space for it's replacement but RIP my CC :cry:

I had thought about it but it looks a horrible break. I use it so much that I think it would just be a sticky plaster and only a matter of time before it would go again, plus I'd always be a bit edgy knowing it could go...

CC

The post JM models were never as strong, as they thinned the tubing right down to compete with the rest of the herd on frame weights, as a result they were more prone to breaking up, pre 92 frames were over a pound heavier, as back then one bike did all, inc DH, Some of the mid nineties top end XC steel offerings were bordering on Titanium weights at 4 pounds or less Orange Prestige etc, but they were XC raceday frames only really and not designed to take much punishment.
Sorry to here about the CC, RIP :LOL:

al-onestare":1v105epg said:
I had thought about it but it looks a horrible break. I use it so much that I think it would just be a sticky plaster and only a matter of time before it would go again, plus I'd always be a bit edgy knowing it could go...

Yep, appreciate your concerns. Just an idea thats all.

Happy shopping for a new replacement :D

Here's a snap in it's final guise back in the summer of last year on one of the many charity rides (LtB):

kona1b.jpg

Got the X9 rear mech, USE seatpost and cheeky brake boosters (which I think I'll put up for sale since they were for form more than function).

RIP my sweet prince...but I have a new toy coming from Charlieboy!

The post JM models were never as strong, as they thinned the tubing right down to compete with the rest of the herd on frame weights, as a result they were more prone to breaking up, pre 92 frames were over a pound heavier, as back then one bike did all, inc DH, Some of the mid nineties top end XC steel offerings were bordering on Titanium weights at 4 pounds or less Orange Prestige etc, but they were XC raceday frames only really and not designed to take much punishment.
Sorry to here about the CC, RIP

Interesting stuff, my new one is a 96 model :shock:

Back