Gazelle Champion Mondial

Finally had a morning off so I decided to open the rear hub. If you guys still remember it was the one making a strange noise when spinning.

Here it is:
Rearhub01.jpg

Remove the skewer. "Grab" the cone and undo the locknut.
Rearhub02.jpg

Remove the locknut, then the washers and finally the cone.
Rearhub03.jpg

Back off the axle just a little and remove all the bearings from one side. Turn the wheel around, remove the axle completely and them remove the bearings from the other side.

What a mess!
Rearhub04.jpg

Rearhub06.jpg

Now to clean everything. The races access is not the easiest one but with some patience it can be done.
Rearhub07.jpg

Rearhub08.jpg

The cones don't seem to be in a bad state. The bearings could probably still work but as I have some new shiny ones these are going to be replaced.
Rearhub09.jpg

They engraved Campagnolo everywhere. The axle is engraved as is the cone and locknut!
Rearhub10.jpg

Rearhub11.jpg

Did the front hub today. No strange sounds coming off this one but decided to do it anyway. Removed the dust caps this time as it makes the job so much easier.

Here's the front hub already open and cleaned.
fronthub03.jpg

These bearings glow like new. There are going back in.
fronthub02.jpg

Put some new grease. Put the dust cap in place and then the bearings.
fronthub04.jpg

Insert the axle and repeat the same operation on the other side. Thread the cone and tight that locknut and it's ready!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHwPu4XRwC8

Hoshi spokes :)

Top servicing job

Yes, removing the cap makes it much easier

Elev12k":2mojq988 said:
Yes, removing the cap makes it much easier

I was afraid to damage those dust caps while removing or on reattachment.
Today I wrapped a rag around a screwdriver and they come off easily. It's easy to put'em back on also.

Makes the whole cleaning and re-greasing process so much easier. :cool:

I'm watching with interest. I have two freewheels that could do with that kind of service, both sachs, keen to get into them if I can work out how.

Also got an old 531 dave yates frame, been hanging in my parents garage for 20 yrs, any advice on dealing with rust spots would be gratefully receive.

keep up the good work!

gmac123":16x8xmvj said:
I'm watching with interest. I have two freewheels that , any advice on dealing with rust spots would be gratefully receive.

If I were you I would open a thread telling/showing all about it. There many knowledgeable people who could help. I'm about to deal with the same issue (frame rust spots) and for my part I will report the experience.

You can have that freewheel (if you want it) for the price of postage. :)

jCymbal":37d2lav6 said:
gmac123":37d2lav6 said:
I'm watching with interest. I have two freewheels that , any advice on dealing with rust spots would be gratefully receive.

If I were you I would open a thread telling/showing all about it. There many knowledgeable people who could help. I'm about to deal with the same issue (frame rust spots) and for my part I will report the experience.

You can have that freewheel (if you want it) for the price of postage. :)

thanks, may do, I've got them bathing in degreaser at the moment, see how it goes

If you still remember I was missing a clip fixing plate to one of the pedals. Here's the original one.
CampaAthenaPedals11.jpg

Bought a piece of aluminum and decided to do a new one.
CampaAthenaPedals12.jpg

Cut it to the right size but decided to make two so that the pedals will have the same look.
CampaAthenaPedals13.jpg

Drill the holes and do the countersink.
CampaAthenaPedals14.jpg

Do the front and remove any sharp edges.
CampaAthenaPedals15.jpg

Give it a good rub with steel wool. It's going to take some new bolts and nuts.
Done and done! :cool:
CampaAthenaPedals16.jpg

Back