Orange racing bikes

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone know what racing bikes Orange made?

Ive got a childs racing bike im going to sell. But upon taking photos and checking it over noticed theres an ORANGE sticker on the seat tube...

Chances are its not an orange.. But does anyone know...? Or is there a way to tell?

To me. It looks very peugeot. Much like the other one im selling atm. Fork crowns look identical...

Not to mention i cant imagine Orange using cottered cranks.

001-16.jpg

013-7.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's no Orange

Orange weren't around until '88

They only did a few models of road bikes and as far as I know, never made any kids bikes

The frame has all the hallmarks of something earlier than 88 (to my not so well trained eye) and Orange wouldn't be using that hanger style rear mech, not to mention the cranks

Jonnyboy666 knows a fair bit about Orange bikes ;)

I can assure you that is not an Orange.

Lester Noble and Steve Wade started the company, was called something else until they hit on the name Orange with the original Clockwork in 1988.

Most of Orange's mainstream bikes of the '90s were made in taiwan but were finished and painted in the UK with handbuilt wheels and well specced groups. One of the appeals for early (1988 - 1995) Orange customers was the ability to choose your groupset and frame separatley, have a Clockwork with XTR or a Aliminuim Elite with LX, also extras like USE posts and such were able to be specced on the original build and incorporated into the price of the bike. Kind of a pic your own spec.

Some Orange bikes were built in the factory in Halifax, most notable was the Formula which was effectivly a custom sized Orange Prestige. The first road bike was the Dynamo which was built as a one off for a friend of Steve Wade, the polularity of this made a limited run of production Dynamo's feasable around 1994, some were steel, others Ti. I belive the 2nd incarnation of the Ornage Dynamo were in Aluminuim, toward the end of 1995.

That is not an Orange.

Cheers :D

Stick Legs":22ab1e06 said:
Lester Noble and Steve Wade started the company, was called something else until they hit on the name Orange with the original Clockwork in 1988.

Was it, their 1991 blurb seems to imply it was started in 1986.

Attachments

• orang 86.JPG
    orang 86.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,366
LGF had an Orange road bike until very recently. Fire off a pm and ask him about it

Stick Legs":3ryp06fy said:
FluffyChicken":3ryp06fy said:
Was it, their 1991 blurb seems to imply it was started in 1986.

What I wrote was from memnory, in hindsight I should have checked dates. :oops:

That answers that then, I thought you knew something I hadn't just read that minute :LOL:

LGF (previously i-am-iron-man's) was a 1993 bike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 933#322933

From memory Mr K's Formula pre-dated that.
but hey who knows.

Dynamo and D2 where Alu frame apparently
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Back