Retro Bikes.....what age???

Interesting definition of retro here:

adjective: similar to styles, fashions, etc. from the past

I know it's not the only one, but it does highlight that retro doesn't actually have to have anything to do with how old something is, and can be more to do with the spirit of a thing.

Retro means back and we're talking about a commitment to things from the past, so we can never define it by particular years, as that will move on.

If you define it in relation to obsolescence, which has a certain logic, it gets quite iteresting - elastomer forks is clear, 8-speed is ok, but also V-brakes? arguably inner tubes? arguably separate bottom brackets? arguably steel frames? some would say gears?

And Wu-Tangled even disapproves of cable stops.

just jestin! yeah, defo has a lot more to do with the bike design/aesthetics, not necessarily the age. you can get a classic looking Morgan car circa '07 that's as retro as an e-type!

just tryin to raise a bronx cheer!

ride on dudes ;)

You have to add in the desirability 'X factor', just being 10 or 20 years old doesn't make something retro in my eyes, just old! Think about a 15 year old Halfords Apollo with full shimano tourney - in my eyes its just an old bike, you wouldn't spend months rebuilding it with NOS parts and sourcing decals etc (unless you have a very close emotional attachment - hence the 'X factor').

So for me Retro defines that point where a bike goes from being old to being desirable, and as desirability is such an individual thing then so is 'retro'

Maybe Pete is right.
Yea, I agree actually, where a bike goes from being old to being desirable.
I like that :cool:

Maybe you cant put a specific age on it, you just have to wait until someone compliments you on your old rig, then you know its Retro ;)

cherrybomb":2e2tjiv3 said:
Converse Allstars are retro.....you can still buy them.

Yes, but they're a re-issue. They foolishly stopped making them for a few years (but they are still the same price as before - how does that work?!)

Still a classic

Back