Frame Cleaning....Please Help

bigfella

Dirt Disciple
Hi Everyone,

I have been given a lovely track frame but someone has places some stickers over the paint job.

They are a mixture of vinyl and paper stickers and I would like to remove them without destroying the paint job which still looks lovely in parts.

Does anyone know what is the best way to do this?

Also I have a carbon front wheel with the same problem...any ideas on how to remove stickers as well?

Cheers,

Richard

Hair dryer or heat gun? But not to hot. Then solvent to clean off the old adhesive (lighter fuel often works).

With solvents it pays to start carefully with the least likely to harm and if it doesn't work move up to the next. Always use the solvent on a piece of rag start with some washing up liquid, then WD40, Jizer, Turps (oily pine tree derivative), White Spirits, (petroleum oil derivative), nail varnish remover and finally try spray paint thinners. After that you're onto abrasives!!

edit - don't use hairdryers with solvent - Boosh!!!

Will simple water affect/remove the paper stickers ? I agree with Brian ..start slow and gentle

Brian1946":24lu5i4s said:
With solvents it pays to start carefully with the least likely to harm and if it doesn't work move up to the next. Always use the solvent on a piece of rag start with some washing up liquid, then WD40, Jizer, Turps (oily pine tree derivative), White Spirits, (petroleum oil derivative), nail varnish remover and finally try spray paint thinners. After that you're onto abrasives!!

edit - don't use hairdryers with solvent - Boosh!!!

Two things to clarify:
1 when I say turps I mean turpentine which is different to Turps subs (Turpentine Substitute) Turps Subs is almost the same as White Spirit.
2 by abrasives I mean starting with Brasso then cutting paste as used on cars. These will polish the paintwork rather than scratch it.

Back