'90 Yeti Ultimate - The ultimate Ultimate (Update 7/7/11)

Wsquared":13l9bu19 said:
Back in the 80s,Yeti was THE bike to have in Boulder Colorado. Zap used to wax poetical in MBA magazine about it's magical properties. Very nice!

Ah, Happy Trails

Small update: I took the fork to a welding shop today to have them weld a bolt onto the broken one, but they weren't able to do it. :( They then drilled into the stuck bolt and were about to try and tap new threads when I stopped them before they could do any damage. :shock: I bought a bolt-out kit and I'm going to give that a try tonight. :roll:

mate im really looking forward to seeing the end result of this build, everything looks gorgeous so far. take your time with the forks, it will come...my fingers are crossed for you...

Re: ....

sinnerman":3qivdltu said:
mate im really looking forward to seeing the end result of this build, everything looks gorgeous so far. take your time with the forks, it will come...my fingers are crossed for you...
Thanks mate! Good news -- I got the bolt out last night!!!!!! :D :D :D :D I used the bolt-out bit and turned it by hand (very carefully) with some vice grips. Luckily it worked.

mfh126":1xyvub1o said:
sinnerman":1xyvub1o said:
Thanks mate! Good news -- I got the bolt out last night!!!!!! :D :D :D :D I used the bolt-out bit and turned it by hand (very carefully) with some vice grips. Luckily it worked.

thank god for that..... :cool: :cool: :cool: when can we see some more...????

mfh126":gdr17cms said:
sinnerman":gdr17cms said:

:D :D :D

Well done mate; big relief for you ;)

Mate, love your work.
I have been too busy sourcing parts for the build to check your post for the ultimate build.
I was your competition in that eBay auction (stevestraw?), but well played.
After the auction, I searched for another ultimate - and found one!
Mint, original condition from Sweden (thanks again Erkan if you're reading) in original magenta colour (really ugly, but I love it!). I paid a bit less for mine, but not by much - so that about the current value of an ultimate frame.
I will start a build forum link, but the story so far:
Ultimate magenta/purple/whatever
Accutrax and atac black
King gripnut headset black
Hyperlites (have 3 and 5 degree) black
White yeti grips
Campy Euclid and chainrings
Onza HO cantilevers with koolstop pads
Bullseye hubs, dt spokes and mavic rims
New style bullseye outboard bearing BB (frame came with xcpro greaseguard)
bullseye cranks (yet to arrive) white
Onza porc's
Thomson seatpost
Flite saddle black

It will live out the rest of it's happy days in Melbourne, Australia.
Cheers all for your help.
Krispy.

Hahaha, just realized that I got the onza brakes from you! Excellent!
Happy to repay the favor if you need an xcpro greaseguard BB.
All the best for your build.

krispy":ej506btt said:
Hahaha, just realized that I got the onza brakes from you! Excellent!
Happy to repay the favor if you need an xcpro greaseguard BB.
All the best for your build.
Be happy that you didn't win this frame -- it probably wouldn't have made it to Australia in one piece since it was so poorly packed! ;) Glad you found another one. You need to start a build thread for it. I'm using all of the same Bullseye parts as you, but that's where the similarities end. :) It's good to have some variation among the builds, it keeps things interesting. Glad you're putting the Onza brakes to good use!

Things have been progressing very slowly after the brake bolt incident. I haven't had much spare time to work on the build. In the past week I trimmed down the seat clamp bolt, and fitted the freewheel, handlebars and seatpost. I assembled the cranks and would've had them on, too, but the Bullseye BB needs to be bored out on the non-driveside so I can get the spindle through it. :roll: It's always something. Tonight I'm going to apply the Accutrax decals to the forks and install the rear brakes (very carefully). I still need a new M6 bolt for the front brakes to replace the one that snapped. Here are a couple teaser pics to keep everyone happy:

DSC07406.jpg

(No, the seatpost won't be staying that high.)

DSC07405.jpg

Back