GT Zaskar 20th Anniversary

michael franks":22y1le70 said:
Flat Lander wrote:

I'm really happy with it. It makes a great bike which is fantastic to ride. Just puts a smile on my face when I get out on it. :D

Which is what its all about isn't it. Enjoy it Flat Lander, great build. :cool:

Youre so right :D and BTW welcome to RB. Not been here long myself but have found it to a great forum with some very knowlegable people who are happy to help. Also great for finding and buyiing some rare parts.

They should have left the original alone....with the u-brake bosses. @Roberto I'm not sure I agree with you regarding the modern day geometry with jacked up head tubes and more radically sloping top tubes. It's all to pacify suspension and bikes look ridiculous with lots of post sticking out

gm1230126":2anlqm8q said:
They should have left the original alone....with the u-brake bosses. @Roberto I'm not sure I agree with you regarding the modern day geometry with jacked up head tubes and more radically sloping top tubes. It's all to pacify suspension and bikes look ridiculous with lots of post sticking out

GM know what you mean, it's just that I'd like my 18" to look like a bigger version of my 16",and it doesn't.
Not enough standover/top tube a bit too level. Comapre that with the more "modern" look of my M2 stumpy :cool:

Hey Flat Lander,ive just come across your post and was wondering how does the bike ride with a 90mm stem,is it to twitchy or ok.
Im just starting to buld up a size small Reissue Zaskar.I cant make my mind up on the stem length,for xc use only.Im guessing around a 100/110mm Thomson with a flat bar but cant afford to keep on swapping stems so ive got to get it right.

Stem length

player":1sh4zqfe said:
Hey Flat Lander,ive just come across your post and was wondering how does the bike ride with a 90mm stem,is it to twitchy or ok.
Im just starting to buld up a size small Reissue Zaskar.I cant make my mind up on the stem length,for xc use only.Im guessing around a 100/110mm Thomson with a flat bar but cant afford to keep on swapping stems so ive got to get it right.

Hi Player, sorry for the delay replying, I'm just back from a couple of weeks in Kazakhstan.
90mm is ok. It not too twitchy, but if I was able to find a good priced 100mm or 110mm I think the slightly longer reach and easier steering would be marginally more relaxed. This is partly because a lot my riding is on cycle paths in Holland and its therefore at a higher average speed than you would normally expect to do on a mountain bike. I did get to do some proper trails and tracks through woods in the National part near Arnhem a few weeks ago and the steering felt great. So like with many things it depends on where and what kind of riding you do. So to help you as best I can, I would go for 100mm. Its a good compromise length, but ultimately the choice is yours.

Have you figured out the integrated headset yet? This cost me a bit money getting the wrong one from Hope. Hope dont make a cane creek compatible integrated. You need an IS-3 integrated from Cane Creek or compatible from a limit no. of suppliers.

hesdownagain":3zghm49b said:
looks awesome. well done..
Many thanks for the appreciation.
I'm really happy with my build, so much so that I've managed to rack up over 350 miles on it over the winter. Only down side was one slide on the ice and scuff to the edge of my peddles :(, but then again I built it to use it :D

Thanks for that.I bought the 100mm a few days back and the headset is the next item to buy.Its a slow build im affraid.Ive got some older Rock shox World cups in the same colour as the frame,some XTR cranks and brakes,Thomson post and saddle and ti onza bar ends.
Hoping to race it and try to finish it by summer end :roll:

Having fun building it :cool:. Take your time and get it right. No point rushing the job and then regretting some hasty choices.

Back