We need wireless bikes (Or I do anyway).

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Sitting on the train this morning opposite an elaborate folding bike I got to thinking how ugly all the guides and stops and inner and outer material that cables seem to necessitate these days are.

It looks so much nicer to see a clean frame devoid of extra cabling. And it seems daft to have immaculate detailed welds and smoothed brazed joints and ornate visually impacting dropouts and then weld a metal lump that holds three other metal lumps with wires coming out of them, as an afterthought.

Obviously if you don't want a SS that doesn't stop you are going to need to add these hideous extras.

One way of doing this is to maximise their impact and therefore reverse the hideousness by making a strange beauty out of it (that pink 'Dale with white cables or Kev's Yeti spring to mind). Or you could minimise impact by going the downtube route like Specialized as opposed to (and i know you're not allowed to slag off Yeti or Fat, but...) those ghastly triple verticle stops on the seat tube/ top tube joint that so many framebuilders insisted on. Urrggghh. Ruins the smooth fillet brazed purity of mrs Wu's DeKerf.

There are exceptions though. Thought the cable 'hole' going down to the f mech on First Flight's Yeti in the YOTM above, looks great. And Klein do a good job of hiding them to great effect.

Mine sit on the top tube of my bike like a shortchanged guitar neck. Making me feel like i should've shelled out the extra £200 as a cost option to have them 'down' routed. Cables on top and below - balanced at least.

Someone needs to invent a lightweight wireless gear change and braking system so I can have a bike without these hideous additions.

Retrobike inventors please enquire.

Aren't campag on with wireless gears??
As for wireless brakes...... :shock: :LOL:

Internal cabling is a good start .

Mavic had a go at electronic shifting , and campagnolo and shimano are also working hard on the question .

Mavic Zapp, wasn't it? Do I remember the manager of Gan saying it was the spawn of satan's armpit? Sure I remember a rider (Boardman?) having to change bikes during a TT because the gears wouldn't change. I think there was some sort of dynamo on one of the jocky wheels. Seemed to die a death after that tour.

that was their first attempe . there was a big motor on the rear mech .

they later did the Mavictronik . much better .

Internal guides????

Simple, works, don't need a battery. :cool:

Oh and little Johnny down the road can't take control of your ride with his Tyco (TM) radio controlled Monster truck thing expensive plastic c**p.

Why is it that kids always want ridiculously expensive piles of tat for Christmas that they will play with for two minutes (if you're lucky) before using it as a booby trap by leaving it in a stupid place somewhere dark for you to fall over and break your neck on. Why can't they just have a bike and be happy. I would..... be happy that is.........if I got a bike.......for Christmas....

I'll go an lie down now.!

cchris2lou":ajgkq87v said:
that was their first attempe . there was a big motor on the rear mech .

And four Juggernaut batteries lashed to the sides with bungy cords.

;)

"Brakes are for wimps". Or at least that's what my friend Jason told me recently. "I'll just take it a bit easier on the downhills, it saves some weight and a lot of messing around", he so wisely said. He's currently in traction at the local hospital, probably not enjoying having his butt wiped by fit student nurses, and won't be riding (or wiping) in the near future. I think i had the last laugh... :LOL: (Unfortunately, he still hasn't seen the funny side of it)... :(

What's wrong with braking by using the sole of the shoe pressed onto the tyre? I'll bet it pulls you up pretty sharpish at 40 to 50 mph.

;)

Back