NON RETRO FORK ADVICE - what to run on Pace 303 frame?

Pace

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So after breaking my RC300 I've picked up a NOS Pace 303 frame while I get my RC300 sorted and transferred all the bits over.

I transferred my RC39 forks over as well - but they seem a bit skinny on the 303 frame - so was looking for something better suited.

I had thought 100mm forks would be right for the 303, but having had a quick search on the net people seem to be running 130/140mm forks.

Anyone know what is best to run with this frame?

For 100mm forks I was thinking these - any thoughts?

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... Forks_2010

Thanks in advance for any advice...

RB member Bertr00t has one of these, and has some lovely carbon pace up front.I can't remember what model, it rides very well :)

RC41s. 130mm travel version.

Or RC40s but with max travel setting. Don't touch the travel adjustment dial after setting to 130mm.

Should look something like this.
n672683081_561363_7779.jpg

Both forks will bob down when locked out for climbing.

I didn't like RC41s or the later DT Swiss version when i tried them a few years back. Very light yes, but they blow through their travel too easily and they seriously lack torsional rigidity. Not a great fork tbh. Go for a Magura Thor instead- not too much heavier (100g or so), much better damping and adjustability and incredibly stiff with the double arch and bolt through axle. Easily the best 130/140 fork i have tried.

Can't say I have noticed any rigidity issues with my RC41s. Only had them a month or so but they fit the geometry of the frame perfectly.

I had some Marzocchi All Mountain IIs on it when I got it too that were nice too but I was after the Pace ones to go with it. They rode well and were stiff but not as light as the RC41s which are a little hard to come by as well.

Got the Marzocchis up for sale if you are interested...

Was pretty happy with my RC41s riding in Ventoux area last summer (and the RC40s on the Stumpy FSR same place the year after, once I solved the leaky leg problem).
Can't say I noticed them flopping around all over the place either.

(Of course danish conditions don't exactly overexert them and I'm not a big lad.)

And the rules of Pace surely still apply, even to non-UK made frames.

I agree with the Doc; Pace Forks are pants! Go with Magura; Thor, as the Doc says , or Menja 130mm or even Durin MD120.
They're cheap too, secondhand. Expect to pat £250-300 for some very nearly new examples. (Fit Fox seals ASAP, though) ;)

Back