Wood BBs

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just topping up the knowledge bank (for the day my RF taperlock dies despite my healthy stock of spares) anyone any experience of Woood BBs? I noticed Scant recommending them t'other day.

Am I right that you buy a BB and cups seperately? UK stockists?

Ta in advance
Radar

I use one on my modern bike, absolutely fantastic. You buy the axle and then add in the cost of cups (loads of options). Sideways and Hubjub sell em, or go on ebay and get the axle cheap and get the cups in the UK (S'what I did!). Oh and add in the cost of the fitting tool, it's not like anything else - unless you can find a shop with them.

Phil Wood bottom brackets and hubs are the best, no question.

The bottom brackets are a sealed one piece unit consisting of the axel, shell, and pressed bearings.

The retainer rings are separate, available for all thread types and require the use of 2 special Phil tools to install correctly (although you can bet by with one tool and a press).

The unit will last your lifetime, and if your grandkids want to replace the bearings some day there is a tool available to do so.

Phil Wood has such a devoted following because it is the best piece of your bike you will never think about again (that's good!).

cheers,

rody

Got one in the Moots, almost seemed a shame to hide it away in the frame as it's such a lovely piece of kit. :)

we need BB shells like those old italian roadie frames that had all the slots and hollows in them so that other people could see the quality within!

Phil Wood

Phil wood bottom brackets are excellent--I own three of them. And if you ever experience a problem you can always call up the owner and talk to him about it. He knows his sh*t.

pete_mcc":3cumyzwz said:
we need BB shells like those old italian roadie frames that had all the slots and hollows in them so that other people could see the quality within!

:LOL: Yeah! Colnago (or is it 'NAGO? ;) ) have a cut out in the b/b, mind you, it would be a bugger to clean out on a MTB! :D

Slight hijack. Anyone used the external bb set up? My raceface bb on the yeti is starting to die :roll:

Back