Bontrager frame sizing

Geoff":1b6riz13 said:
Hmm, according to the specs a medium still has a top tube length of 22.6" which is about the same as my Kona isn't it? Standover is given as 28.9 for medium and 29.8 for a large. Is this measured as literally the top of the top tube to the ground or from some point a certain amount above the top tube? Haven't found accurate geometry details for my Kona, the nearest I've found is for the 2005 Explosif... :?:

Try konaretro.com Geoff. Unfortunately he never got the 95 or 96 catalogues on there, but the 94 geometry is the same as 95 - incidentally I was wrong in an earlier post, it was actually in 1994 that they made the bikes a half inch longer, so there's no point in you seeking out a more recent Kona.

As far as 22.6 is concerned, that's shorter than a size 18 Kona - Kona quote the 18 as having a 23 tt and the 19 as 23.5. My Kilauea (97) is a 17 and it is actually slightly longer than the quoted 22.5, so I'd say that a medium Bonty is about as long as my bike (but way higher!)

Measuring standover is a bit of a black art, but it's often given as the height of the mid point of the top tube.

I stuffed up- 17 is the large, not the medium, so a top tube length of 23.0"...

I'll see what comes up, if I can score a bargain I may just take a chance on the large and see what happens.

Edit: Found the 94 geometry, 23" top tube and 28" standover. I think a large Bonty would be alright in that case.

I'm 5'8" and ride a large Bonty. I do like my bikes long and low though. 130mm stem and inline pin, fits fine. Photo in sig below ;)

just under 6' and now have a 19" (XL I think) Bonty - sorry Ed :LOL: - on the way. Numbers look fine for me, so will see when it gets here

Not much help either really :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back