The NW&NW Area: General Chat Thread

Riding solo! Are you mad, you've seen my level of fitness!
How many laps typically would you expect to do in a 4/5 man team?

Um, gut reaction is no, in a loud, shouty sort of way, for obvious fat/slow/unfit reasons, but maybe just maybe you should tell me a little bit more of what's actually involved...

Or if you're decent friends perhaps just warn me off it! :LOL:

Not really keen on being the weak link in a decent team, but it is endurance (I guess) and I don't quit for bloody anything, so might not be that embarrassing, when do you need decisions by? Like to see how I get on at Whinlatter but that's not until March20 (and you should all come!)...

edit..........

Read the announcement now :roll: reckon the 10man not taking it too seriously squad might be within my abilities :) Still appreciate a second opinion though, and the loan of some lights - never really ridden in the dark, except when I got lost in the Forest of Bowland and I didn't enjoy that at all! :oops: lol:

It's a nine and a bit mile lap with quite a bit of climbing, quite alot of single track and when it rains, several tonnes of sticky mud.

Last year it was very dry and our 4 man teams did about 4 or 5 laps each, including two back to back overnight laps. The hardest part is the lack of sleep I suppose. The NWA team accumulated 18 laps. The winning teams were up in the 30's...

But lap times and numbers aren't really that important as long as you can get around before the mud in 'plasticine woods' swallows you and your bike.

10 man teams probably did maybe 2 laps at most, and spent the rest of the time drinking and heckling, and not necessarily getting any more sleep than anyone else.

Great event whether you are racing, riding or just there to watch and party.

The only rule with the NWA 'No sleep till breakfast' team is that we have to beat the Anglian 'Flatlanders'...

Mayhem makes weak links out of everyone... witness DSP in the medical tent after midnight and our 'mighty' Captain looking a whiter shade of pale on Sunday morning...

Would be great to get two NW/NW Four Man teams out this year - looks entirely possible:

Team 1
Woody
DSP
Neil
Mark

Team 2
Harry
El Pedro
Easy
+ 1

Tis the best organised MTB event I've experienced (OWMTBC notwithstanding... ;-) )- consistently achieving the right balance between challenge and social. Retrobikers take it to the next level with our own camp area, DJs and midnight garden Jenga... WAGs love it too!

Hello Neil

Glad to see you're keen for a good flogging again. We've pencilled you in for all five of your laps between 11pm and 7am so that the rest of us can get a good nights sleep.

I trust this will be acceptable...?

Didn't read Mark's main thread where he sneakily 'offers' to front the 10 man NW team... I knew he cracked last year despite 'managing' us to enure he had a decent night's kip...

From experience I know the 10 man teams are great for the social/banter, but you go home just a tad too fresh for my liking!

So yes, I'm up for another four man attack although I'd like to be consulted re. 'strategy'.... ;-)

'Ere! 'Ang on a mo, get me offa that bloomin' list you cheeky gets - I was only contemplating deserting the BBQ at all because of the ten man option! :oops: :LOL:

Reckon racing two laps and surviving a third is about where I'm at, maybe get that up to three decent laps (or survive four) by the Summer, but realistically I think that's about my limit :?

The first NWA four man team could well look like this then:

DSP
Woody
HarryCrumb
Mr K

I'm quite keen on the five man option too though to save a few quid on the entry fee, spread the load a bit and perhaps allow Mr K to actually get some sleep this year.

So who will be the fifth man?

Or woman.

Back