New member with a new project

Re: Raleigh frames and dating.

roadking":2ro3vcwa said:
Frame is a bit of a conundrum as it has a mix of"features", e.g early type top tube brake cable route, v.late style Reynolds tubing stickers; and the fork crown...my instinct says late Worksop built Raleigh, but then I look at the headtube badge (which is 80s - my 84 LU Corsa has the same style headbadge - when was it introduced?), over time has this frame acquired a mix of features?
I Googled up a 1989 Lightweight Unit catalogue:

http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/ncl/pics/ ... ary%29.pdf

While the pictures aren't the best, there are one or two plausible matches - the "Delta", for example. The rear brake cable routing fits, in any case.

roadking":2ro3vcwa said:
Mafacs are well underrated brakes...Anquetil won Tours with these.
... against a bunch of other guys with MAFACs!

Not to say they can't work well, but they're clearly too deep for the frame. A shallower single- or dual-pivot brake from the late eighties or early nineties would be a much better choice.

Stem is a GB "spearpoint" available from the early 1950s. Hiduminium is just the name given by Reynolds to their alloy product.
I'd change the stem if possible. These were never the strongest items, and this one's been drilled and tapped for the brake cable. I personally wouldn't want to trust it honking around the hills of Bath.

edit:

Wikipedia has an interesting little article on Hiduminium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiduminium

Re: Progress

Jolyon":2fe5kum3 said:
What's the difference between Butted and Double Butted tubing?
Butted tubes have greater wall thickness at one or both ends. In the context of your bike, the sticker "REYNOLDS 531 Forks, Butted Frame Tubes" means that the three main tubes of the frame are butted Reynolds 531. The seat tube is single-butted (thicker of wall at the bottom end only, although it's not unknown for a Friday afternoon frame to get its seat tube fitted upside-down) while the top- and down-tube are double-butted. The rear triangle is a lesser steel.

If you want to find out about tubing types, frame construction etc. then have a look here -

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129216

Even though it must be around 30-ish years old (with several typos etc. which should have been found very easily!) it explains in simple terms the differences between types of tubes, brands, lugs, frame building etc. Well worth working through to find out the basics.

Gentlemen !

Am overwhelmed by your kindness and knowledge. Links to superb information; thank you. Fantastic.

The GB stem's potential weakness has been pointed out. It'd ruin my day if I broke that pedaling up Ralph Allen's Drive ! If an addition; the brake adjuster has been done well. A nice flat has been machined for the locknut to rest on for example.

Yours,

Jolly

Rolling and in need of adjustment, just like the bike.

This is where I thank the forum members for all the help and modestly submit pictures for consideration.

Stricken lions have been known to befriend people because they knew - somehow - that doing so would result in the removal of a thorn from their paw which would otherwise kill them. Having been saved and when completely healed they then feel compelled to return with their cubs in gratitude and homage. This is the law of the jungle; and, it applies to the internet and bicycles as well.

Here's the Raleigh Delta as finished. Gone for a retro look, more retro than entirely appropriate for the frame but one that emerged from the collection of bits that I had that seemed to fit without to much effort.

2m6o2kx.jpg

The MAFACs were too much of a pain to fit because of the drop but I managed to get the Weinmann Schwinn centre-pulls in instead, which I know will make all you chaps slumming it on Campag Deltas positively Emerald with envy, but there you are.

The front works really well, surprisingly, and the back is about as heavy and squashy as the owner but both feel quite progressive and have some power.

11qmxxu.jpg

I found a big chrome shiny head race made by Tange which I used as it looked pretty.

1zx8w0l.jpg

I was bought some nice Cinelli bartape for Christmas by one of my sons, Henry, and he chose the perfect colour !

The back brake's performance may well be due to poor cable routing, less than optimal angles and the fact that the caliper is at the limit of travel to ensure reasonable contact between block and rim.

ehg76o.jpg

I need to put on a reflector too.

Here's one from the other side.

51zhat.jpg

As far as I can recall the wheels are old Weinmans,the hubs are by Maillard, transmission is various Shimano (600 rear mech which is really pretty) brakes already mentioned.

Pedals loaned by my friend Barry who who has a lovely Falcon Fixie and introduced me to this forum. Other bits and bobs from Cadence in Bath - thanks chaps - and the powder coat was done at Aztech in Trowbridge. Super job, too.

In true Hollywood fashion; thank you for making it all possible !

Jolly

I would have done the fork in the same color as the frame and I think gumwall tires would look better but that's just me! Congratulations on finishing your project and happy 2011! :xmas-cool:

pssst: I think the break yoke is supposed to be the other way around.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back