Tell me about Wheeler (team 9900)

RockiMtn":1qha9oyz said:
so what's the quality of the frame/fork and branded parts? is this frameset desirable/collectible? i only see a few Wheeler bikes here on RB.

am i doing this frameset wrong stripping it for parts? would someone here want the frameset and associated branded parts—frame, fork, hs, stem/bar, seatpost, seat?

top of the Wheeler range BITD, nice nick, almost cpl. OE spec. something unique and not often seen here - thats makes it collectible / a driver. (for me)

beepbeep":2ilbhnpq said:
Wow, that really is in timewarp condition, makes me feel all nostalgic....

I always thought Wheeler sounded so American, didn't realise they were from Germany.

Agreed, I thought this was an American brand bike.

Oh well the rear mech has come off and onto the Merlin, as that is my top priority steed. everything else, is up in the air at the moment. was looking to shift the rest of the bits to restoring my Blizzard. but that already has almost all the bits it needs, it's just that the m900 on this Wheeler is in much more superb condition.

RockiMtn":2zd3qhe8 said:
beepbeep":2zd3qhe8 said:
Wow, that really is in timewarp condition, makes me feel all nostalgic....

I always thought Wheeler sounded so American, didn't realise they were from Germany.

Agreed, I thought this was an American brand bike.

Oh well the rear mech has come off and onto the Merlin, as that is my top priority steed. everything else, is up in the air at the moment. was looking to shift the rest of the bits to restoring my Blizzard. but that already has almost all the bits it needs, it's just that the m900 on this Wheeler is in much more superb condition.

Personally as long as all the Wheeler branded parts stay in one place, the components are neither here nor there - it doesnt really matter what components are on it

They were big at Cyclepath. George sold them BITD. The 9900 was the flagship model. A step up from their other house brand Maxam, but nothing special. The 9900 was the flagship model. A nice bike, but I wouldn't call them collectible.

FMJ":2azhahyt said:
They were big at Cyclepath. George sold them BITD. The 9900 was the flagship model. A step up from their other house brand Maxam, but nothing special. The 9900 was the flagship model. A nice bike, but I wouldn't call them collectible.

hmmm… this info pushes me more towards thieving parts to donate to my other projects as i originally intended.

but that leaves me to ponder what i should do with the frameset and matching branded parts that i'll have left. :?

Wheeler is a solid brand, although nothing special. I'd keep the bike whole, seems a shame to split it after all these years. :cry:

That saddle looks like an Odyssey Svelte, just branded with the Wheeler name.

too late, i've already pillaged the poor girl for parts to go on more worthy projects! :twisted:

i'm gonna fix her up with some lower end stuff i have lying around and make it a spare hack loaner rider for family/friends, or trip to the local stores/shops. ;)

what's with me and wheelers! :LOL: this time a 8800 (comp line prestige) with lugged Tange Ultimate tubing. in rough shape but looks to be sound. may build up and pass on to a nephew.

of course, this was picked up for spares. ;) set of XT cranks, Machine Tech cantis (shame only one set), USE post, Race Face air alloy bar, and Judy XC.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,020
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 3,018
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,020
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG