MOTOR CHAT

Thanks, a more sensible answer than just looks though wouldn't stiffer springs and shedding uneeded weight have the same effect without clearance issues ;)

Ve if me and you stood side by side and say The Ken put his finger in the middle of our foreheads who would be the easiest to push over?
Not with standing me launching a 'Palkup Dollyo Chigi' at him :LOL:

Watched somebody get 22" wheels fitted to his VW Transporter today. They completely filled the wheel arch, and he was talking about lowering it too. Obviously not a vehicle that`ll be seen in a trailcentre car park then....
It looked hideous in my opinion..thats why I`m only getting 18`s (no lowering) ;)

Rob, I'd just brush you aside with a tachi waza-mae and drop Velo with a kogeki although it is 20 years since I did any of that so it might not work.

I'm a great believer that the highly paid trained engineers and designers at top car companies generally know best.

Tazio":38a8w5zr said:
I'm a great believer that the highly paid trained engineers and designers at top car companies generally know best.

Yep, they do, then people go and ruin the time they spent and the millions the manufacture invested by changing the shockers, springs, wheels and tyres :LOL:

Check this out, a lowered Ford GT :roll:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... 973&page=1

In answer to your question Velo in most cases on a road car it's mainly for looks, most cars (saloons and hatchbacks included) look better closer to the ground, when i've lowered cars i've aimed for having the top of the tyre an inch from the arch lip when viewed from the side, then the wheel hides the normaly manky inner arch area.

As mentioned the limit for me is the bottom suspension arm, if the car is lowered so much that the arm has got past level to the ground and has started to point upwards the car will be terrible to drive.

It is a compromise between looks and driveability though, i could'nt live with the Polo that low everyday, drove ok but would crash into pot holes instead of riding over them, also speed humps were a no go, maybe as a weekend toy but was a PITA as my only transport so i changed it back to sensible, i have had lots of lowered cars in the past, i'm getting old now though and like my comfort.

There are plenty who take it to extremes though and will have a car scraping along the ground or be hellish to drive.

Lower is'nt always best though, even for race cars, check out this awesome tarmac spec Metro 6R4, riding quite high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qME2OIk97Gk

loads of folk lower old VW campers - looks just plain daft imho :D

Then again, I've just bought a car I can just about stand up underneath :LOL:

Back