• bushpig's 1988 Cunningham Racer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • garethl's Pinarello

• hollister's Bontrager

• Total voters
sinnerman":2sqmsvc7 said:
I dont think our friends accross (sic) the pond quite understand how different things were here in "GREAT BRITAIN"

One other thing that annoys me about your assumptions. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to how someone who couldn't possibly understand how different things were here in "GREAT BRITAIN" managed to wind up with a seventeen year old Burt tattoo on their calf?

a7e6119f.jpg

I'm curious as to what you were up to around the time I first sat in the chair for that (I had it redone once - white tends to fade fast).

Before I throw my 2p in, well done to Crantinope's Kona. Really liked your bike and the way it represented the era. Special mention to Doctor-Bond with his Tim Gould Peugoet, without doubt one of the rarest and finest bikes ever to grace this site.

Now for my 2p's worth. What an absolute disgrace, some of you lot should hang you heads in shame. The accusations made last night on this thread are nothing short of scandalous. For those of you unaware, here a few quotes that have literally made my blood boil:

“Looks sleazy”

“If you are gonna fix it…”

“fixing BOTM”

“the poll is a joke”

“this competition has officially lost any credibility it used to have”

Totally unbelievable, especially as many of the comments made are by those with less than reputable reputations. But hey you say it enough times and it becomes fact, doesn‘t it. Not a shred of evidence, not a fact in sight, not a hint of irregular voting, just pure slander. I hope the mods ban the lot of you, you're no loss to this site.

sinnett177":3ps4ji29 said:
Before I throw my 2p in, well done to Crantinope's Kona. Really liked your bike and the way it represented the era. Special mention to Doctor-Bond with his Tim Gould Peugoet, without doubt one of the rarest and finest bikes ever to grace this site.

Now for my 2p's worth. What an absolute disgrace, some of you lot should hang you heads in shame. The accusations made last night on this thread are nothing short of scandalous. For those of you unaware, here a few quotes that have literally made my blood boil:

“Looks sleazy”

“If you are gonna fix it…”

“fixing BOTM”

“the poll is a joke”

“this competition has officially lost any credibility it used to have”

Totally unbelievable, especially as many of the comments made are by those with less than reputable reputations. But hey you say it enough times and it becomes fact, doesn‘t it. Not a shred of evidence, not a fact in sight, not a hint of irregular voting, just pure slander. I hope the mods ban the lot of you, you're no loss to this site.

Most of those were made by RichieB, and who really pays him any mind around here?
I find it funny that so many people were having issue with people voting in the last minute, (I won't bother to quote all the people who wrote something along those lines- just scroll and see for yourself), yet, without some last minute UK votes, the outcome would've been different.

No need to get be so appalled. It isn't the first time someone has claimed funny business in the voting, and it won't be the last.

FMJ":12vf34ul said:
sinnerman":12vf34ul said:
I dont think our friends accross (sic) the pond quite understand how different things were here in "GREAT BRITAIN"

One other thing that annoys me about your assumptions. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to how someone who couldn't possibly understand how different things were here in "GREAT BRITAIN" managed to wind up with a seventeen year old Burt tattoo on their calf?

a7e6119f.jpg

I'm curious as to what you were up to around the time I first sat in the chair for that (I had it redone once - white tends to fade fast).

L.O.L.......L.O.L.........L.O.L........dude thats awsum......love the tattoo.....dont quite know if i would have chosen it though.................lol.....lol.....lol....lol...., and over on my side of the pond, writing someones name on yourself, could be regarded as a little....erm....shall we say....(being polite here.....erm gay...????). dude you are probably a top fella, but hairy arms just dont do it for me.......... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

as for how old i was when your mum gave you permission to have a tattoo....not quite sure i didnt do mind reading at school......lol...lol.... :D :D :D ( this is humour ) just in case.......lol....lol...

as for the spelling.........yeh my bad.....not too good at typing when im laughing so hard........!!!!!!!

so back to the original post, stating now for the record for the sensitive.

My post making reference to us living on one side of the pond, and other retro bikers living on the other side....was not ment to be inpolite, and im sorry if it was taken this way......., :roll:

erm.......should i do a spell check just in case..........lol......lol :D :D , have a good week bigman, thanks for the laughs, you helped make it the best bike of the month so far........ :D :D :D :D :D :D

orange71":3oeke0ww said:
Am I missing something - why would you leave your vote until the last minute? You have a month to vote. So what if it's a close vote near the end - would tactics come into which bike you voted for rather than the one you liked the most? Shame if it does.
As I wrote above in the thread, there was a tactical aspect for me, and judging by the voting patterns I think I'm not alone...

In my case, I didn't have a clear favourite when the voting opened (on January 26th i.e. five days before the polls closed) so I decided to sleep on it and come back a little later. By that time the Kona and the Cunningham were clear leaders. The Kona hadn't been among the bikes that interested me on a first viewing, while the Cunningham was certainly in the top two or three. I voted for the Cunningham partly - not exclusively by any means - because I thought it was a worthier winner than the Kona (no offence intended, Crantinope).

In a sense that's tactical voting, but it also makes perfect sense when there's no clear, outright personal favourite. It means that worthy contenders (like the Roberts Team Peugeot) will lose out if they don't take an early lead, but the voting patterns that emerge suggest strongly that this is a common voting method. If none of my favourites had been in the running by the time I came to vote, I would probably have given my vote to the least popular among them.

The only way to avoid this effect is to conceal the results until the polls close. I'll bet the distribution of votes would look very different.

Forgot to vote for this poll, I see the kona haters are out again :roll: :roll:

I got it all in December botm.

Well done for winning Crantinope , second last month aswell ;)

i always wait for something to leap at me, nothing more scientific than that......today i was mostly feeling the explosive........

GoldenEraMTB":1vnd20wv said:
As for it being "anonymous", again, a rather foolish opinion. The only "anonymous" bike in this poll was your own.

The "casual voter" is who exactly? Can you name one? This site is geared to old mtb enthusiasts, so I fail to see where someone who would bother to make an account and participate would be "casual" about these bikes. They don't have to be fanatical, but casual, nah.
I can see LGF's point on this.

I think I know quite a lot about old bikes - perhaps more than the average Retrobike member. I don't know much about older Fats, and from that position of ignorance there's nothing that marks yours out as special. Special it may be, but to my untrained eye it could pass at first glance for a cheap late eighties Rockhopper with a drab third-party paint job...

The pictures linked from your sig make a much better case for its worthiness, but as someone who wasn't on the US east coast at the time, I don't have a gut feeling for what makes it special, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Of course it's always good to learn: that's why I'm here.

brocklanders023":36sv7ewt said:
I just voted for the one I liked the best. Am I normal :?
That's all I ever do - and it was Gravy Monster's Raleigh.

Because quite simply, it was the bike I liked best. No personalities, no pretensions, just simply the bike I liked best out of the line up.

FWIW, 2nd choice for me would have been the winner.

Neil":1ylzq5b0 said:
brocklanders023":1ylzq5b0 said:
I just voted for the one I liked the best. Am I normal :?
That's all I ever do - and it was Gravy Monster's Raleigh.

Because quite simply, it was the bike I liked best. No personalities, no pretensions, just simply the bike I liked best out of the line up.

FWIW, 2nd choice for me would have been the winner.
Just as an edit to that: I tend to vote pretty early, and I do it on my first impression - I see the thread, look down the photos, and go with my first impression of the bike I like most.

If the illuminati don't like that approach, you can pay me to have another...

Back