Jason McRoy's Salsa ala carte

Salsa_JMC.jpg

That kind of thing?

Is everyone sure that the cranks pictured are cooks, they look a lot like Grafton Speed Sticks to me, which would answer why they are black, with black arms and no etching. It would also tie in with the chief sponsor who was NTi rather than MBUK. NTi bought in Grafton and Salsa, whereas Cooks were bought in by Evolution I thought, and they had their own team at the time. It's not unlike MBUK to get things wrong in their photo credits!

The cranks you have appear to be cooks RSR road cranks with a 130bcd and a 'triplizer' middle ring rathe than an MTB set.

cranks

Is everyone sure that the cranks pictured are cooks, they look a lot like Grafton Speed Sticks to me, which would answer why they are black, with black arms and no etching. It would also tie in with the chief sponsor who was NTi rather than MBUK. NTi bought in Grafton and Salsa, whereas Cooks were bought in by Evolution I thought, and they had their own team at the time. It's not unlike MBUK to get things wrong in their photo credits!

The cranks you have appear to be cooks RSR road cranks with a 130bcd and a 'triplizer' middle ring rathe than an MTB set.

Thats what I thought but the mbuk are different from the ones used in the pic posted by longun the spiders are different colours.

The spec seems to have changed over the season, I either go with the mbuk pics spec, or the disc drive spec...... which is original. The disc drive spec is how I remember it.

The very original spec was full xt including cranks, hubs and STI shifters (except diacompe 986 canti, and a dura ace headset), it also used rock shox RS1 forks, XT bear-trap pedals with zefal clips and straps, white onzas and pink odi attack grips, mavic 261 rims, 3ttt salsa bars and a salsa pro moto stem with roller (?!). That was the original Team Salsa/A'me spec when Jason was first sponsored to ride Salsa, a year before he rode the salsa for MBUK. That was the spec featured in the 1991 article 'young Turks'.

That said, it doesn't detract from the fact that the MBUK ones are not Cooks or CQP cranks, but are almost certainly graftons as per the sponsors of the team.

Edit:If you look at these cranks:

team_mbuk_bits_187_192.jpg

They are 110bcd, but cooks of the time had two sets of holes not one:

cdef_1_165.jpg

Only 94bcd had one set. The graftons of the time looked like this:

kurbel0001oho0.jpg

The CQPs had silver grooves cut in the side which would be very obvious.

Finally, as far as I know, Cook Bros never had a black arm, silver spider option but I do recall CQP having it. I only say all this as I have a huge number of cooks cranks, including a nice set of your road RSRs.

cook-brothers-racing-road-cranks-176mm-w-bb-130-bcd_330500330098.jpg

cranks

Agreed the cranks I have are the road version. Anyone wont to swop or buy!!!

You've convinced me that the mbuk mags pics are graftons and not CQP or cooks.

But in the race pics the spider is silver. Hopefully someone may have a better quality pic for us to check.

cranks

I have seen the back arms and silver spider on the bay before but i have deleted my watch list.... with the rsr 2 hole spider.

Heres a pic though of early ones.

Attachments

• cook-bros-racing-rsr-crankset-90s-yeti-fat-chance-bmx_190488055456.jpg
    cook-bros-racing-rsr-crankset-90s-yeti-fat-chance-bmx_190488055456.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,826
s works

I know this probably isnt the right forum/thread, but do any of you guys have any info of the s works he rode. I seem to remember it being red and white with carbon rock shox or did I dream it.
Id like to build a copy if any one has info/links or know where the original is

thanks

Back