Coolwall Jan 2011 - Shimano MTB groupsets

• Cool

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
legrandefromage":3q5b0zfy said:
al":3q5b0zfy said:
With all that has been said about how cool (yawn) Shimano groupsets are,it's odd to see the result of this poll then!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134757

al. :?

in the correct context - thats for a British shiny Pace RC200 frame. If it were US or European, I (expressing an opinion here) bet the poll would be different.

So what's being said is a complete (Yaaawn) Shimano groupset is cool,but only on a square frame?

The US and the European built bikes lack imagination and deserve less thought when speccing equipment.

I'm confused!

al. ;)

al":3qcj3fxy said:
legrandefromage":3qcj3fxy said:
al":3qcj3fxy said:
With all that has been said about how cool (yawn) Shimano groupsets are,it's odd to see the result of this poll then!

in the correct context - thats for a British shiny Pace RC200 frame. If it were US or European, I (expressing an opinion here) bet the poll would be different.

So what's being said is a complete (Yaaawn) Shimano groupset is cool,but only a square frame?

The US and the European built bikes lack imagination and deserve less thought when speccing equipment.

I'm confused!

al. ;)

uhoh. Are you trying to reach 5000 posts in this thread alone ;) :D

al":3cve7htf said:
legrandefromage":3cve7htf said:
al":3cve7htf said:

So what's being said is a complete (Yaaawn) Shimano groupset is cool,but only a square frame?

I'm confused!

al. ;)

are you reading the right poll? The one with a UK built frame and votes for UK parts?

GoldenEraMTB":2psf70d4 said:
al":2psf70d4 said:
legrandefromage":2psf70d4 said:
al":2psf70d4 said:

I'm confused!

al. ;)

uhoh. Are you trying to reach 5000 posts in this thread alone ;) :D

No, I'm just a pain in the A****

al. :LOL:

legrandefromage":1s99tbho said:
al":1s99tbho said:
legrandefromage":1s99tbho said:
al":1s99tbho said:

I'm confused!

al. ;)

are you reading the right poll? The one with a UK built frame and votes for UK parts?

Yes, but it still puts up the (Yaaaaaawn) Shimano groupset that some would say is the best of them all, against xt and British made parts that most would say are poorer and less cool parts.

So why would people override Cool Shimano in such numbers for individuality?

Surely the same rules apply no matter what bike they are going on?

Am I up to 5000 yet?

al. :LOL:

I think complete period correct groupsets are cool as a collection of parts. How many new bikes, BITD, came with a complete STX-RC/LX/XT/XTR groupset? Answer, very very few. Probably custom built ones at a push, but your 'run-of-the-mill' GT, Saracen, Kona, Trek and so on came with a mixture of parts. Perhaps an XT rear mech mixed with LX shifters, LX front mech, STX-RC hubs and brakes. And that was for a higher end bike, my Marin Mount Vision was spec'd with an LX rear mech and Alivio front mech.

Complete groupsets are cool but only found on custom bikes (which most of our bikes are nowdays).

ive come to the concision that i must be a sad uncool nerd! i religiously ensured that my bike has a complete XT group set, i even have shimano sunglasses...o dear! i also think that duel control was the best shifter design they ever had, and now they have stopped making it :( maybe its because i started BITD when most bikes had a full group set, to be honest i didn't know it wasn't considered normal to have a full group set any more..:) well i like to be different any way!

CAPIN":2t3x71xf said:
Neil G":2t3x71xf said:
Cool, especially early 90s XT and DX :D

Problem is these days you rarely see a complete Shimano group on a bike..always a mish mash of parts i.e using XT rear mechs then cutting corners with a crap font mech.

Its real problem.
More Shimano on bike - cooler bike gets
Full groupset on bike - the coolest thing ever
only things missing would be spoke reflectors i guess
..hmm possibly kickstand :idea:

i got some wicked hello kitty spoke reflectors, you have inspired me to fit them to a scott spark..lol...

Back