Coolwall Jan 2011 - Shimano MTB groupsets

Coolwall Jan 2011 - Shimano MTB groupsets

• Cool

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
CAPIN":z7xiubmm said:
I would go as far as to say that if Shimano is voted cool ,its basically end of coolwall.

It seemed like a great idea, but after this, there is no point of continuing..

That happened when Kooka was voted to the wall. :? :LOL: :roll:

I think to me the issue is that Shimano is too vague of a candidate...too massive...too much variety. Unlike Kooka, which could be judged on some 3-4 or so cut and dry issues like brittle cranks, spindly levers and a seatpost design that only a proctologist could love, Shimano just made so much, for so many bike types at so many price points. How could anyone fairly judge Shimano as a singular entity? Even more, how can anyone on this board argue against anyone's position or opinion, when the very nature of the candidate and the sheer scope and breadth of product to evaluate means that we are likely miles apart in our own personal opinions as to what from Shimano we think is cool or uncool.

Shimano made sooooooo much, they are probably the only company in the industry that could be considered as the most cool AND at the same time the least cool.

One more thing... The whole 'Cool Wall' thing loses something in translation the further away from the UK you get, also. I bet most folks don't know the origin of the cool wall thing, which means a big regional disconnect with Cool Wall that I think makes the debate so bizarre at times.

raymondluxuryyacht":u0hzje74 said:
Is that a Campag chainset on that Shimanoey Ritchey ?

Oh and that shiny xtr mech picture......looks like an alien's tooth pick. Too over-designed to look a certain way. The look should come from.. or be related to the function...and in that picture the look seems articificial and angular. I am no fan of high price boutique bike bits but Paul components managed to do light, angular and machined looking mechs without making them look quite so contrived. They still had a a strong functional look. Mind you I bet the xtr works better than a Paul mech. ;-)

...and is it just me or are the dura-ace and sante mechs verging on art ?

Fair point about sram scottrider.

Yes It's a Campag chainset also the hubs where Campagnolo.

I've never run a complete groupset on any of my bikes. Mainly because it is geeky,uncool and people that know nowt about bikes run what they are told to by someone else.

Saps!!

al. :LOL: ;)

GoldenEraMTB":54jxqo07 said:
utahdog2003":54jxqo07 said:
they are probably the only company in the industry that could be considered as the most cool AND at the same time the least cool.

That nails it.

Now this has gone propper daft!!

Shimano could be considered as the most cool company.

Are you drunk?

al. :roll:

Cool, especially early 90s XT and DX :D

Problem is these days you rarely see a complete Shimano group on a bike..always a mish mash of parts i.e using XT rear mechs then cutting corners with a crap font mech.

Neil G":3db5a629 said:
Cool, especially early 90s XT and DX :D

Problem is these days you rarely see a complete Shimano group on a bike..always a mish mash of parts i.e using XT rear mechs then cutting corners with a crap font mech.

Its real problem.
More Shimano on bike - cooler bike gets
Full groupset on bike - the coolest thing ever
only things missing would be spoke reflectors i guess
..hmm possibly kickstand :idea:

Back