New school question - Rear suspension Epic question -

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Dont want to go to Singletrackworld as they will probably mock me.

I have a Speccy Epic - 2004 I think. You know the FSR one.

There is a slight mount of play when I drop the bike on its back end - like a loose wheel (but its not) it seems to be coming from the rear bushing of the shock where it attached to the frame. Apparantly the bearings and bushings are new acording to the seller (he put them on for me and seemed to know what he was doing) so wondering it its normal?

Its not side to side play - just a slight knock when you lift the bike up and drop it.

Any knowlegeable types Speccy Epic types...?

I assume that you have checked the rear hub ? no play .

Put a cable tie on the shock to see if it moves when you drop the bike .( like on a front fork ) . if it doesnt there is some play somewhere .

Mmm.

I can see where there is play - its where the shock mount at the drop out end mounts to the frame - theres a micro amount of play in that bushing it seems.

Now next question is: is "this" normal?

When this happens on a Proflex it is because the bushes aren't a tight fit around the bolt leaving perhaps 1mm gap. This causes the clunk when you drop it.

I'd take the shock out and inspect the bushes, see how tight the whole assembly is.

posted that thread without seeing the one you since posted. In a Proflex it is normal and you can ignore it. Don't know about yours.

usually there is a pair of bushes in the shock eye that is then bolted to the frame. This may not be classed as a bearing, but a bush. They wear, and you get play when you lift the back wheel off the ground. Sounds like this to me, but cannot be sure without seeing it.

I had mine replaced with the shock service - think you can buy them from TFT or such places. Sometimes you can take them out and turn them 90deg to extend life as they tend to wear on one side at a time.

Worth a look

Jez..... It's not normal behavior, just checked mine and no play there
mine's also about to be stripped and sent to mojo for a service and also having new bushes fitted as its long over due!!
Side to side play is normal on these bikes tho.
How much play are we talking here :?:

P.s only mojo can service that shock, as it has a brain :twisted:
Tft are unable to do this...which is a shame as they are based about 4 miles from my house :cry:

Back