brake noise

hesdownagain

Old School Hero
any idea's... i took my GT I-Drive build out for a spin and found the rear brake(hope m4) was making a hell of a squeel when i tried to stop. i have adjusted it again to make sure the caliper is central. the pads are good although i have not fitted them they were already in the calipers when i got the brake set. anyone had this before/any idea's what may be causing it. thanks.

Had M4's on my Marin Mount Vision. Have you tried cleaning the pads & rotor? Use disk brake cleaner to give the pads a good clean and let it dry. The first few applications of the brake will sound like a wailing banshee but after that normal service should resume.

hi ya. cleaned the pads and rotors also rode with the brake on a little to see if it made a difference. the noise has gone untill you pull hard on the brake then it's back again. going to bleed again i noticed that i could not get a skid, no matter how hard i pulled on the brake it would no go to a skid just got the squeel back..

Are the pads contaminated with oil or brake fluid? If the lever feels spongy you have air that needs to be bled out. If it is firm the hydraulics are ok.

Disk brake pads need bedding in to reach maximum performance. On the road get up to about 20 mph and brake hard, repeat 10 times for front and rear brakes. You need to get the brakes very hot for them to bed in. You will notice the braking performance improving even more after a couple of off-road rides.

ok. cheer's i have just bled the brakes and they are fine. they feel firm and no different to my other bike. i'm out again tomorrow so i will have another go at bedding them in. i cant say about the pads as they were fitted when i bought the brakes, let you know. thanks ....

Back