• bushpig's 1988 Cunningham Racer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • garethl's Pinarello

• hollister's Bontrager

• Total voters
utahdog2003":1wk9hfre said:
Down to the Cunningham, the Grove, and the Wicked. I'm pulling the lever for the Grove. :cool:

I want to like the Cunningham more than I actually do. After nearly 25 years of cycling, I've had it drummed into me over and over why they are so amazing, but still at the end of the day...

Maybe it's an east coast thing. Maybe that's why I feel like I can relate to the Grove.

It is a good month either way. :cool:

Aak, this from a WTB owner.. Blasphemy.... ;) :) :)

ededwards":2aycm4ii said:
Very strong month again...
I’m always surprised when I see this type of comment over and over again as the monthly entries get made and then again as the votes roll in. On the contrary, I’m always hard-pressed to find the very small handful of bikes that I’d consider voting for – and often those bikes lose by a wide margin.

Earlier in this thread someone suggested that people seem to vote either for the “bike” or the “member”. Given I know almost no one here, for me it’s always “bike”. But it seems my “bike” criteria must be radically different than most.

For me (in order of importance), it’s:
1.) Is the bike and it’s builder truly special, unique and/or important. Is it “hand-made”? Pretty much all mass-market bikes (meaning, built by the hundreds, thousands or more in large, often Asian factories) are immediately eliminated on this point. My favorites would be those designed and built by a single, known individual or tiny “factory” operation.
2.) Is the bike either well preserved or well restored? Was attention paid to the details? Are exceptions explained or justified?
3.) Personal taste. I don’t care for suspension (front or rear) and I hate anodized parts in any color but silver/clear or black. (Thankfully largely absent in the 1980’s and hence this month’s entries)

Applying those criteria to this month's entries, I see about a half dozen possibilities and only 1 (maybe 2) of those are into double-digit votes. I’m baffled by some of what excels. In cynical moments, I think JB's Breezer #1 would loose BOTM to an Orange or Kona. I know there’s a lot of debate and angst here about “snobbery” and the slogan “if it’s Old School it’s in”. Even if I fully accept that premise for general questions and bike postings, shouldn’t the “bike of the month” (and year) be held to a higher standard?

I get a bit tired of the discussion on here about BOTM and what bike shouldn't or should be in the poll!

It's a poll! I don't agree with a lot of other people's choices, but that doesn't make it a bad poll or winner?!?

Everybody has different reasons to choose HIS or HER BOTM! No discussion is needed. It is a subjective vote! There is no GOOD or BAD vote!

I like them clean, others like them anodized! In the end the one with the most votes wins! That's all! ;)

wired99":igvd9kuz said:
I loved it Makster! Nearly got my vote but just missed out to the Mt Tam for me... You needed a picture in the snow :LOL:

Oh go on then...

RockhopperComp005.jpg

Not the same bike, but its poorer non-competition brother ;)

GoldenEraMTB":3g7e70fl said:
There's definitely a hierarchy here: one for make and another for member. Voting for the best bike will be a good result for MBUK representation.
Voting for the member isn't a bad thing either, though the result might not get much of a nod in print. Then there's all the nostalgia in between.

Perhaps I can vote for a combination of top bike and member, and still get a good result. Good month for that.
Voting for the top bike would be easy, but it's just not that simple. Guess I'll wait a little longer.

Ha! Overbury's...

This example looks like its a good 3 or 4 years newer than it actually is.

Shame the owner is such a tool though.

166325_10150176403789762_612249761_8742980_5055166_n.jpg

For a few minutes there I thought this was going to be impossible - I love the green thingy, Sith's builds are always an exercise in how it should be done right, Dr.S's Stumpy is a piece of history, Beavis Palisades is utterly immaculate in the flesh and I can't help but find that Butler beautiful.

But it simply has to be doctor-bond's 1989 Roberts Peugeot, Tim was (one of) my hero starting out racing and I love this build a ridiculous amount, brings me joy just to know it's out there getting ridden :cool: :D

For anyone who's of a similar mind & hasn't seen it:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

nnnnn

Almost kept out of it but...

What represents or defines an era may have nothing to do with what was available or what we were actually riding - a few pics in a foreign magazine might be all we needed! Or conversely a mass produced Saracen simply because it was available and let us ride...

Whatever works for you ;)

stumpjumper1990":3defl1eg said:
I get a bit tired of the discussion on here about BOTM and what bike shouldn't or should be in the poll!

It's a poll! I don't agree with a lot of other people's choices, but that doesn't make it a bad poll or winner?!?

Everybody has different reasons to choose HIS or HER BOTM! No discussion is needed. It is a subjective vote! There is no GOOD or BAD vote!

I like them clean, others like them anodized! In the end the one with the most votes wins! That's all! ;)

This could be my words

Still can't decide between the Bonty or that ace BMXesque GT. Better make my mind up soon.

halaburt":1b8r7wsc said:
ededwards":1b8r7wsc said:
Very strong month again...
I’m always surprised when I see this type of comment over and over again as the monthly entries get made and then again as the votes roll in. On the contrary, I’m always hard-pressed to find the very small handful of bikes that I’d consider voting for – and often those bikes lose by a wide margin.

Earlier in this thread someone suggested that people seem to vote either for the “bike” or the “member”. Given I know almost no one here, for me it’s always “bike”. But it seems my “bike” criteria must be radically different than most.

For me (in order of importance), it’s:
1.) Is the bike and it’s builder truly special, unique and/or important. Is it “hand-made”? Pretty much all mass-market bikes (meaning, built by the hundreds, thousands or more in large, often Asian factories) are immediately eliminated on this point. My favorites would be those designed and built by a single, known individual or tiny “factory” operation.
2.) Is the bike either well preserved or well restored? Was attention paid to the details? Are exceptions explained or justified?
3.) Personal taste. I don’t care for suspension (front or rear) and I hate anodized parts in any color but silver/clear or black. (Thankfully largely absent in the 1980’s and hence this month’s entries)

Applying those criteria to this month's entries, I see about a half dozen possibilities and only 1 (maybe 2) of those are into double-digit votes. I’m baffled by some of what excels. In cynical moments, I think JB's Breezer #1 would loose BOTM to an Orange or Kona. I know there’s a lot of debate and angst here about “snobbery” and the slogan “if it’s Old School it’s in”. Even if I fully accept that premise for general questions and bike postings, shouldn’t the “bike of the month” (and year) be held to a higher standard?

Good criteria. Quoted cause it should be said twice.

stumpjumper1990":1b8r7wsc said:

What's your problem with discussion. Discussion is a good thing, and if a few people have a change of prespective due to that discussion, is that something you consider unacceptable?
Heaven forbid someone be persuaded to change their opinion or perspective. Let's all just cover our eyes, ears, and mouths, and stick to what we know- yeehaw.

legrandefromage":1b8r7wsc said:
GoldenEraMTB":1b8r7wsc said:
There's definitely a hierarchy here: one for make and another for member. Voting for the best bike will be a good result for MBUK representation.
Voting for the member isn't a bad thing either, though the result might not get much of a nod in print. Then there's all the nostalgia in between.

Perhaps I can vote for a combination of top bike and member, and still get a good result. Good month for that.
Voting for the top bike would be easy, but it's just not that simple. Guess I'll wait a little longer.

Ha! Overbury's...

This example looks like its a good 3 or 4 years newer than it actually is.

Shame the owner is such a tool though.

166325_10150176403789762_612249761_8742980_5055166_n.jpg

:eek: :p :LOL:

Back