My '94 Bonty OR - updated 02/06/14

keithb":2piw7cgy said:
I made them! :twisted:
(the brake adaptor plates)

no kidding :shock:

you are a man of "details" , having some shimano markings on it reproduced too ?????

it look like plastic but is it ?
or is it painted alu ?
there is no issue of rigidity :idea: :?:

because it is much more simple than the mavic yellow ones (bridge shape) !

....brilliant

...got to say i think thats excellent, ...!!!! I saw something similar, done by one of the guys at brixton cycles, a long long time ago, but certainly not as nice as this, and he used a 26" wheel.

IMHO, its a very well built frame, and built to last, i really like what you have done, and even more impressed you didnt go out and buy a generic road bike, but recycled what you had, into a box fresh, stunner......, im sure too there would be many cycle couriers that would love this hardcore lightning rod......!!!!!!!!.......cool :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I fabbed up a cardboard mockup at Christmas when I first thought about running road wheels on the Bonty. The mockup looked like it might work so I bought some 1inch x 1inch aluminium box section.

I made one rear adaptor plate first and it worked. It flexed a little and the brakes do take some time to setup due to the finite spring tension adjustment (moving the pads further up amplifies the V Brake spring tension adjustment, and the cross top levers aren't supposed to work with V's)

The more I thought about the fronts the more I realised the wheel force moved the plates through a different direction so they didn't need as much 'plate' on the surface of the original V Brake. So I reduced those down a little.

Overall they work pretty well, they aren't light (big fixing bolts required)they flex a bit and they are a setup that is either perfect or very wrong. I'll run them on the rollers for the rest of the winter and then come spring/summer I'll try it on the roads.

If they prove to be a bit lacking on the open road (I live near some bigs hills) I'll look into road calipers mounted on custom braces fixed to the canti bosses. :)
Black 105 calipers mounted on bright white painted, Shimano branded, custom braces maybe :D

Re: ....brilliant

sinnerman":1iw4kq13 said:
...got to say i think thats excellent, ...!!!! I saw something similar, done by one of the guys at brixton cycles, a long long time ago, but certainly not as nice as this, and he used a 26" wheel.

IMHO, its a very well built frame, and built to last, i really like what you have done, and even more impressed you didnt go out and buy a generic road bike, but recycled what you had, into a box fresh, stunner......, im sure too there would be many cycle couriers that would love this hardcore lightning rod......!!!!!!!!.......cool :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Cheers mister, I'm glad it appeals to others (I f##kin love it to pieces...and can't stop looking at it!). :cool:
The build also cost half the price of a new hack road bike...probably in the region of £250 for everything.

Always enjoy seeing a bike that can divide the forum :twisted: Personally I can't help but love it in all it's guises - except the attic! ;) :LOL:

Latest posts

Back