A quick update...

Banashapan

Retro Guru
Hi guys,

You may remember I posted some pictures of a bike I bought in Italy as my main mode of transport for the summer I spent there.

Ibought the bike in it's original state from a market and with the cost of easyjets extra baggage - 20euros- It was rude not to bring her back to the UK! After a bit of digging into the history of the bike, it turns out to be a Garlatti/Cinelli (late 60s-early 70s) frame and fork which where sold to small independant bike shops who then branded as their own and built up to sell. This example is from Olgiate Comasco, in the foot hills of the Italin Alps.

I spent a little bit of time sourcing bits and bobs- replacing the bar, stem, seat post, cranks, pedals, BB, and front brake. It's a mix of retro bits, but the front brake is a modern Tiagra with a compact Dia-tech lever. I went for a simple set up as it's now my run around - I know there may be comments about lack of rear brake...but this is my little slice of retro.

I had a 40t front ring on, but yesterday changed it for the 52 (purchased from 'Old Ned'), which is pictured as I managed to source the 49d crank puller!

It's nice and easy as a town cruiser, tough now the bigger ring is on, but I still manage!

Original state-

5401021936_7fef491c52_z.jpg

After a little clean and some new bits-

5401021938_14bdc79dd4_z.jpg

5401021950_e2d6115147_z.jpg

5401021958_573a910918_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looks good BUT- you've put the chainring on wrong!!

The crank should be positioned so that it comes precisely through the middle of one of the 'gaps' in the chainring, bisecting the angle between the arms. You're probably only one 'position' out on the crank /ring holes but well worth doing for an immediate improvement in appearance.

thats abit of an error on my part! :/ - I see - chainring needs to go anti-clockwise one set of holes...

Will have it sorted when im at work tomorrow... thanks for the heads up Old Ned!

I like the chainring (and the rest of the bike!) - is it a Lambert alloy jobbie? Six arms rock my world at the moment.

It's a single TA ring on Stronglight 49D 5-pin cranks, a classic vintage fitting. I've still got some rings available. ;)

(Sorry about the quick ad.)

Thanks for the comments guys

Little bit of an update on this-

As I have now sold my mountain bike (frame), I'm down to a heap of parts and one working bike! And riding on its single speed set up was proving to be hard work!

I swapped the 52t chainring for a 40-32 combo, fitted the original shifter, new bars, shimano 600 rear mech, and 60 front- next job is to find a rear brake and some new levers!

Took a ride out to Leamington from Coventry today- and the rear wheel bearings have failed pretty badly- will have it apart tomorrow and may build up a NOS budget rear wheel to get me sorted.

I think it has more 'charm' when set up as a 10 speed

here she is- excuse the photo quality- phone picy

5460815737_b28fb7398f_z.jpg

Just a quick update-

Was lucky enough to recieve a donation of 3 track hubs from an acquaintance, one Airlite rear, Resilion rear, and an unknown front hub.

So, took a dip and went in for my first wheel build, rear Airlite on a Mavic T217. 40 hole, in 3 cross- Here's how the ride looks now- also has had a crank change to more recent TA's

5695653967_93357ec28b_z.jpg

A new project has arrived... Carlton International track frameset... which the other 2 hubs will be used for.

5412019732_5304ec023f_z.jpg

Unsure on age, very little to go buy in terms of markings and numbers, will be her a new coat of paint, and some carefully selected components... more to come after my euro cycle tour

Latest posts

Back