HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Perfect weather for a great ride with a good bunch of Retro Riders

Now for the report:

NWA: Forest of Rossendale ~ 29/01/11

The day began with temperatures hitting -4.5 , but for me this was a good sign, as the recce had been awful in the heavy rain and -4.5 meant the chances of rain were minimal.
MrLee was quick to set up his amber wall tyre emporium and with tail gate high business began with the exchange of cash and promises of paypal transactions, I must say they are great tyres for the price.
After we were all acquainted and bikes had been fettled with we were ready for the off, but not before the obligatory line up photos.

P1290530-1.jpg

The Bikes: GT Tequesta, Orange Clockwork, Marin Palisades Trail, Giant Terrago, Alpinestars Ti Mega, Specialized Rockhopper comp.

After giving up looking for the self timer feature, I had used many times before, the riders picture was taken without me in it.

P1290531-1.jpg

The Riders: Mr Lee, sinnett177, Brocklanders, Beavis, giant-one, and the inept camera user HarryCrumb.

The ride took us along the river side from Rawtenstall into Waterfoot where we then began the climb up along tarmac, bridleway, and the frozen mud track to the descent from the signal mast into Bacup centre. As the 1st half of this ride is all about climbing it was only fair we went up hill out of Bacup and joined the cycle route from Higher Change to its junction with the A681. Not forgetting Richards hold up at he was cut off by the reversing manoeuvre being made by a blind motorist from a farm.
The true off road part of the ride begins here, as urban life is left behind. We made our way to Heald Top Farm, where we were greeted by a duck, dog, and friendly resident. Those who were there will remember this bit as the piece where you really did hold onto you bike for dear life. We worked our way across Heald Moor where we stopped for a break and quick photo shoot.

P1290533-1.jpg

Beavis and Mrlee riding across Heald Moor

P1290537-1.jpg

Mrlee takes the opportunity for a publicity shot with his BikeFood drinks bottle

P1290538-1-1.jpg

P1290539-1.jpg

Giant-one takes advantage of the pit stop

Once we were back on the bikes we were soon up to the Beacon on the Burnley Way, where I left the group with mark so that I could take in the down hill ahead to set up a vantage point for some action shots. This was a great bit of moorland track across Deerplay Moor where I took advantage of the cold hard ground unleashing the 46T Pace chainring.
After the wrist crushing downhill of doom we had the dog leg of death, where Mark’s elegant dismount was not caught on camera by the button fumbling Crumb.

P1290540-1.jpg

P1290541-1.jpg

Mark descends the Dog Leg of Death

P1290542-1.jpg

Mrlee begins to close up the gap behind sinnett177

P1290545-1.jpg

P1290547-1.jpg

Sinnett177 and Mrlee work their way up the technical climb on the second part of the dog leg

P1290549-1.jpg

Mrlee looking chuffed with his performance on the Dog leg of Death

P1290552-1.jpg

Brocklanders, Beavis, and giant-one unaware of the Dog Leg of Death lurking around the corner

P1290554-1.jpg

Brocklanders takes the dog leg in his stride

P1290556-1.jpg

Beavis on the dog leg with his Hi-vis forks on the Palisades

P1290558-1.jpg

Giant-one enters the Dog leg of Death with already near jellified arms from the wrist crushing downhill of doom.

We left bridleway and headed up the A671 in search of food via a 1 mile each way detour to find the pub was closed. The second food stop option was several miles away in Lumb. We arrived at the Hargreaves arms via the path of the ice slick and to top it off the pub we had stopped serving food.
P1290561.jpg

Brocklanders guards the bikes while we all visit the bar in search of food and drink

P1290562.jpg

Mark and Richard tucking into their bar snacks, the only food on offer.

P1290560.jpg

The faces are near mutiny after the false promises of food, to be later forgotten by the sight of the local Greggs store in Rawtenstall.

From Lumb we followed the ByWay joining Lumb and Rawtenstall, where we took the oportunity to stock up on food before we arrived back at the car park.

A great ride with a good variety of trail, I hope it wasn’t too disorganised being my first outing.

Finally your “bike of the ride” the Marin Palisades Trail, ridden by Beavis
P1290533-1-1.jpg

Just like to thank Martin, Mark, Lee, Edd and Graham for a fantastic ride today.

It had it's up's and downs :LOL: (sorry) :roll:

Every body rode retro (yes even me) :LOL:

Cheers chaps :D

Really sorry that I couldn't make this, but something cropped up on Saturday and kept me away instead.

Looks like you had a good ride and the weather was great. Nice selection of bikes too. You would've put mine to shame.

Any more photographs would be great to see as well, but they'll probably only make me regret not being there even more.

Good work Martin...

A top day in the saddle around the Rossendale Valley, thanks to Martin for organising and Brocklanders, Beavis, Giant-one and Mr Lee for turning up and providing great company.

Few memories from me:

- DryStonePiker, award yourself a sticker Paul.
- Tyre sale, Mr Lee's car boot skinwall sale.
- Bacup Gypsies.
- Closed Pubs.
- Pubs that don't serve food.
- Greggs stop.
- Nice bikes and nice people.

See you all again soon.

thanks martin i really enjoyed yesterday's ride even if a little cold at times, it was a good route too ,great veiws of lancastrianshire and Lee quarry,
sorry about the wall of ice water richard as if it was'nt cold enough :oops:
i never thought greggs would be so appealing, im having probs up loading my pics so will sort tomorrow , great to see you all again .
Lee.

what tyres? "coughs" ;)
IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

bike of the ride prize
IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

Had a great day chaps, thanks. Lots of hills so should have done me some good and I'll look forward to catching up at Settle. I'll have a look at the forks tomorrow Lee. ;)

Only two pictures because the battery went. :oops:

Ace pictures to complete a great day in the saddle!

Some great views after even greater climbs, with Hardcore frozen horse tracks to test ones skill. Only being let down by one (bio)mechanical... bloomin knee :evil:

Looking forward to the next ride, might try those new tyres.. ;)

Thanks again Harrycrumb! :D

Back